The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tell of a random act of kindness that you did around the holidays!!! This will run through the 12th and then my two daughters will go through them and choose a winner; So you have plenty of time to do one and then you get to tell about it, not limited to this year of course; Also if you want to enter and you don't want the plants you may choose someone else to receive them, whether they entered or not; Now please begin and enjoy the story's, and i pray that plenty of hearts are touched, and TPT can show my daughters how great you are!!! Took out the anonymous part, confusing and contradicting

No cost to you I pay shipping

1-Flame moss (regular size portion)
1-Ludwigia Sp. Atlantis
3-Ludwigia Senegalensis
2- Encinidorus Augustifolia Vesuvius
3- Bylxa Japonica
1- Hydrocotyle Tripartite (regular portion)
6-Rotala sp. Nanjenshan
4- Rotala Mexicana Araguaia
4- Bacopa Sp. Japan
10- Marsilea Minuta
2- Persicaria sp. Kawagoeanum
2- Rotala Mac Green
2- Rotala Mac Japan red
4- Ranalisma Rostrata
3- Myrio Tuberculatum
6- Rotala sp Colorata

Thank You

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Hm...

Every year my entire family gathers at my grandmother's house for Christmas, we stay up Christmas Eve eating, chatting, messing around and causing a general ruckus until midnight; where we all exchange our gifts. It had been twelve months since my grandfather passed this particular Christmas, and we had a little shrine/memorial set up next to the fireplace and tree so that "we could encourage his spirit to join us." At the time I didn't realize how odd this was, being Vietnamese it was traditional for things like that to be done at all family gatherings.

This Christmas was just like any other; crumpled wrapping paper all over the ground, boxes stacked in an orderly fashion along the wall, and everyone passed out on the floor from alcohol or exhaustion. This year we had an after party at my house, everyone but my youngest cousins and my grandmother went. My grandmother was too tired to go, so she stayed home to rest.

Everything that day went smoothly, but around 7 PM-which coincidentally was within the same hour my grandfather had his final stroke and passed away a year ago-an outlet overloaded or something. I didn't really catch the details from the firemen about how the fire started, but best of my knowledge I was told by my parents at a later time that my grandmother's closet caught fire due to faulty and stripped electrical wiring that had been in place behind the walls since the house was built. The socket overloaded because of all the lights hung around the house, on the trees, and in the hallways; causing an electrical fire in a bunch of clothes.

Needless to say, my grandmother lost everything except her life in that fire: her albums full of photos decades old, her children's baby clothing, trinkets from family members, souvenirs from her trips to Vietnam with her husband, literally every item of sentimental value a human could have, turned into ashes. The only thing that she managed to save from her bedroom was a portrait of my grandfather, one he had taken before he fell ill. That night was the first time and only time I have seen my otherwise stoic grandmother cry.

I remember seeing her sitting in a heap, crying silently when they brought her to my home. The memory still brings tears to my eyes even now, 6 years later. Even if I was unaffected directly by the fire, the sorrow she felt was so intense it affected me. I have to say it was the most intense moment of emotion in my life, I have never felt anything more strongly than I felt the sadness that night.

It wasn't until a week later that the city deemed the structure safe enough for us to enter. There wasn't really much to enter. The only whole structures left in the mobile home were the front steps, porch, storage room, the guest room, and part of the kitchen and bathroom. The roof had burned completely through in most places, and two of the bedrooms were charred and on the verge of collapsing. We managed to dig out boxes in the crawl space, and most of the boxes that were in the side storage room had survived. After a week of sifting through ashes and half burnt and dusty boxes, we were able to recover a large portion of her jewelry and some burnt photo albums, on top of clothing and useless household stuff that could easily be replaced.

I found my grandfather's robe in the closet of his old room, which had been the guest room ever since he died. The guest room was on the opposite side of the house and was virtually untouched save for smoke damage and heat distortion. It was the robe he was wearing on the day he died so I took it home to keep. It held a small sentiment to me, as I was unarguably his favorite grandson and I loved him more than I loved my father; I was a copy of his exact personality, born 60 years later. A full Zodiac cycle, which is a big deal to us superstitious Vietnamese.

I digress. There's so much I could say about my grandparents.

The main point is that my father and I could not leave my grandmother depressed like that. We offered her a permanent room at our very large house, but she was not happy there. She directly expressed that she wanted to live out the rest of her life in the lot containing the burnt down house. She was adamant about living out her life and dying in the same place that her husband lived and died, she had already purchased the land, and the grave next to his so there was no questioning her demand. Besides, she was the matriarch, and that was double the reason there was no questioning her wish.

For my (not really) Random Act Of Kindness that year, my father and I drove all the way to Houston, Texas, where we towed an entire mobile home frame back to the empty lot. We installed the entire frame, but the home needed major work to be done. This was a project that extended well past Christmas and far into the summer. But we managed to get a frame up, build a roof, build walls, run electrical wiring, insulation, drywall, paint, all that nice stuff needed to build a home just for my grandmother. We replaced the old 3 bed 1 bath with a roomy 5 bed 3 bath from the ground up.

Currently she resides there with my 8th Uncle and my 10th Aunt. She watches over all of my baby cousins every day to keep it lively and to keep her mind off the soul-crushing boredom of being old and alone. I can see the exhaustion in her tired eyes whenever I hug her, but I know she lives on because she loves this family, and that is the strength of love that I want to be able to provide for my own family in the future.

In case you were wondering, all of my aunts and uncles chipped in to pay for this project, and I ended up selling my first car in order to contribute my part. I was the only non-adult to chip in, and the only other person besides my father who put in months of manual labor to get it done. Because of this, I wasn't able enjoy that summer because I had no money, no time, and no car. I wasn't able to drive myself around for two whole years until I got a hand me down from an uncle. I developed a notorious reputation at my high school for having to be picked up from home, and then driven to and from the parties.

Thanks for reading, I know it's rather long, but I cut a lot out. Trust me on that, I left only the bare necessities.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
If I tell its not anonymous :)

Alright.. I'll tell. Just around the holidays nothing all that spectacular. The usual tall guy stuff, ei grabbing things off high shelves for people who can't reach them. Me and my brother used to have a competition to see who got asked to do that more during the holidays I think the highest either of us got was 15. I have jump started a couple cars and changed at least one tire. This year I "found" a $20 laying on the ground behind a very nice lady who I had been talking to while waiting in line for the check out. She was buying presents for her grand kids and came up short. She tried to give me the change but I assured her I had no idea where the bill came from.

not sure if those are truly anonymous as all the people involved at least talked to me a bit but no more than one or two ever exchanged names with me.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I used to work in a restaurant. We always have one same customer every morning coming just to pick up a coffee. He is Chinese and about 60 years old.
Last week, I turned in a gas station and saw him sitting down on the pavement. He got accident and his car was hit by another car when he came out on the street. Everybody was fine. But I tried to stay there with him to wait for the police (took 20min to appear) because he does not speak English that good. I explained what he said to the police. He kept saying that was his fault but I know that intersection is crazy and hard to see the car coming up. I told him everything will be okey and helped him take the broken bumper out so he could drive home.
That was around Thanksgiving day!!!
Not that kindness story but I feel good to do it!!!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Not sure if i understand the rules, but im gonna tell my christmas story anyways..

Last Christmas, I was woken up by my mom at 6am, saying we had to cook dinner, that my papa was In The hospital. I thought it was a dream, til she woke me up again, and I realized it was true!
Now, the entire family eats at my nana and papas house every holiday, and my papa is always the one to cook. Nine years ago be bad a heart attack and two strokes, so cooking was hard for him, but he always managed, and never let anyone help him.
He never complained about a thing, and even when his health was declining, never wanted to go to a doctor, or take medicines. We knew he wasn't eating as much, but had no idea how bad it had actually gotten. Apparently, from the stroke, the little piece of skin that separates your air pipe from the tube to your stomach wasn't working properly, and whenever he ate, pieces of food were getting into his lungs.
Anyways, he drove himself to the hospital, [of course he did, just like he did while having the heart attack] and wrote a note to have ME cook dinner.
ME. My cooking involves a microwave and ramen noodles. Oh and hotdogs!
But me and my nana managed to putt everything together, [shes not a cook either] and dinner went by smoothly, if not sadly.
I'll never forget that Christmas, where my papa trusted me to cook his holiday dinner for him...

Oops! Just retread the rules..it's supposed to be an anonymous good deed?
Um here's one...
I used to work at a retail store, and this woman was looking for wrapping paper, and I decided to help. I asked her what type she was looking for, who it was for, ect. She took one look at me, and burst into tears. My fist reaction was to hug her, and I did, for about ten minutes, while she cried. Eventually, she stopped and thanked me, apologizing for breaking down. I told her it was no problem, that I was glad to help. I told her that Christmas is stressful on anyone, and she stopped me, telling me her husband was in the hospital, with cancer, and she had no idea what to get him, and figured wrapping pale was a start. We ended up talking for about twenty minutes, as both my nana and my dad had cancer, and survived. I believe I lightened her load that day, and made her feel better about her situation...

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
This just happened yesterday. A friend calls me and asks if I have any old toys my kids don't play with. I asked who they were for. One of her neighbors has their 2 grandchildren living with them. The day before thanksgiving somehow the dog jumped on the stove while mom dad and the kids were outside. The dog started a fire that apparently they still can't figure out how started. By the time they noticed it outside it was really going good.
Everything was lost. The grandparents were just looking for something to keep the kids amused.
I had an artificial tree in my garage that hasn't seen daylight in 10 years since we cut down a real tree every year now. I told her they were more than welcome to it and I would find other things too. As it turns out the lady wanted to buy my friends old artificial tree from her. When she dug it out it had gotten broke during her last move. When I told her I had one she called the lady and told her she had fond the rest of her tree and it was all okay. Obviously a lie but she wanted to surprise her with everything else. She then made a Facebook posting looking for kids toys and clothes. When I went over to drop off the tree and a couple bags of clothes she had 10 other bags in her garage that people had dropped off too.
She told me when they came over the two grandparents cried tears of joy for a long time.
It wasn't completely anonymous but it sure felt good.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Here's my Christmas story, it's a little sad and it wasn't technically random because it was within my family, but it means a lot to me.

Last year, my freshman year of college, was my last Christmas with my mom. We all knew it, she had terminal breast cancer and she was going down hill fast so we knew we had to make it count. My dad and I were faced with a dilemma though, what do you get for a woman that has only a couple months to live? I thought about it long and hard and remembered what she had always asked from my brother and I as kids. She always had asked for a peaceful day, with no fighting or arguing and for everyone to just appreciate life and how beautiful it is to be able to spend a wonderful Christmas with your family. As a kid, this was an abstract concept and it was rarely something that happened, my brother and I would fight over a toy, we didn't get what we wanted, etc. But this year was different. I really took into account what was best for my mom and I talked with my brother about it. Everything went smoothly, everyone had fun and we enjoyed the last Christmas with our mom. In fact, I think it was the best that I remember in my life, even with my mom's declining health. My mom passed away that February and I still miss her to this day. Christmas this year just won't be the same without her. Having said that, I know this is for your daughters so I will pass on a piece of advice to them, from one young person to another, appreciate your parents while you have them because you'll never realize how much they mean to you until one's gone. I honestly don't even care if I win this RAOK, I care more that someone will get to hear my story and maybe change their lives for the better from it. Thanks for reading.

-Matt Schaefer

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
amen brother, thanks everyone for the story's, love them all, i just want page after page so don't be shy, this is not about you its about all of us

·
Registered
466 Posts
Here's my Christmas story, it's a little sad and it wasn't technically random because it was within my family, but it means a lot to me.

Last year, my freshman year of college, was my last Christmas with my mom. We all knew it, she had terminal breast cancer and she was going down hill fast so we knew we had to make it count. My dad and I were faced with a dilemma though, what do you get for a woman that has only a couple months to live? I thought about it long and hard and remembered what she had always asked from my brother and I as kids. She always had asked for a peaceful day, with no fighting or arguing and for everyone to just appreciate life and how beautiful it is to be able to spend a wonderful Christmas with your family. As a kid, this was an abstract concept and it was rarely something that happened, my brother and I would fight over a toy, we didn't get what we wanted, etc. But this year was different. I really took into account what was best for my mom and I talked with my brother about it. Everything went smoothly, everyone had fun and we enjoyed the last Christmas with our mom. In fact, I think it was the best that I remember in my life, even with my mom's declining health. My mom passed away that February and I still miss her to this day. Christmas this year just won't be the same without her. Having said that, I know this is for your daughters so I will pass on a piece of advice to them, from one young person to another, appreciate your parents while you have them because you'll never realize how much they mean to you until one's gone. I honestly don't even care if I win this RAOK, I care more that someone will get to hear my story and maybe change their lives for the better from it. Thanks for reading.

-Matt Schaefer

Winner

Matt,

You're the same age as my oldest son and your story touched me for the obvious reasons and, because I can relate to your Mom's request. I think you chose the perfect gift.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Mine isn't exactly holiday related but it did happen during the holiday season when I was 17. I worked in a hospital, both behind the scenes with paperwork as well as performing tests on patients.
Some of my coworkers were bitter old women. When their patients didn't speak English they really gave them a bad attitude. Using large words or complicated phrases on purpose and ignoring the patients until an interpreter could show up.

One day there were several spanish-speakers and mandarin-speakers in the clinic that did not have interpreters with them.

My coworkers were rude to them as usual, and the patients were obviously scared. Both by their prognosis, how to pay for their exam visits, and what future exams they would need.

I was hovering around in the background. I did not want to make myself responsible for interpreting information to patients. The hospital was very particular about not doing what's not in your job description, for the safety of yourself and patients.

But I darted between my coworkers and the patients and blurted "I CAN MAKE THE APPOINTMENTS! I CAN UNDERSTAND THEM!" My coworkers were surprised, confused, but were very happy and took their lunch break early....

I interpreted exam results and booked appointments for two spanish-speakers and two Mandarin-speakers. By the time their hospital-assigned interpreters came, the patients were on their way out with appointment cards in hand.

My first language was Spanish. Then, I took 3 years of Mandarin in high school. With just this knowledge, I was able to explain to the patients the basic situation at hand and what they needed to know. I even brought out my Mandarin dictionary.

It was absolutely heart warming to make a patient calm and to let them know they had a friend in the clinic. Nobody should have to deal with bitter people after being told you are sick. Imagine if it were you. You would be so scared and under so much stress, particularly if you didn't understand what people were saying to you.

I'm now on a very different path from medicine, but maybe I should go back to working in a hospital setting!

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
I'm a member of the DAR and if you know anything about the organization, you should know that they support several schools across the country that are for children under state care and for underprivileged children. One of them is called Tamassee and it is located in Tamassee South Carolina. I visit the school usually once of twice a year and I love to talk with the kids there. Last year I found out that another DAR Chapter hosts a party for the Tamassee school every year and anyone, DAR member or not could "adopt a child". From my visits to the school I had met a 10 year old boy (leaving his name out for privacy reasons). I really clicked with him on my visits so my mother and I decided to "adopt" him for Christmas.

We were provided with a list that said South Carolina (gamecocks) stuff and personality type: sport. We also had specific items that we had to purchase which included 1 outfit, 1 pair of shoes, 1 coat and everything had to come in a duffle bag. We were supposed to spend no more than $100 on each child. We had so much fun shopping for him. I got even got him a South Carolina duffle bag off eBay. During this time, my friend Megan, who is not a DAR member asked to do the same thing and her and her mother "adopted" a 14 year old girl together.

Megan and I attended the party so we were able to see both kids open up their duffle bag. My little guy was thrilled when he saw the duffle. Both children were so happy with the gifts that we purchased. As they went through their stuff I could see the looks on their faces and it brought tears to my eyes.

I'm 29 and I have no children but I love going and visiting these kids. There is never a better feeling that giving to someone knowing that you may have changed their life even a little. The kids at this school are mostly placed there by the state and would likely not have a Christmas if it wasn't for those that volunteer to purchase their gifts. I think that everyone felt good about that day but fortunately for me I had previously met him which I think made it even more special. If you ever have an opportunity to help out children in need, please do it!

I can't wait for this years Christmas party. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had always wanted a live flocked Christmas tree and had put my name in a raffle at a local 'Earl May' plant store for a chance to win one. Much to my surprise, I won the beautiful fully flocked 7 foot fir Christmas tree just a few days before Christmas. I had an old aluminum Christmas tree at home that had been my Mom's (this dates the story folks). I had already decorated it, so I asked the people who awarded me the flocked tree if they knew a family that didn't have a tree and would appreciate a Christmas surprise. They knew a young struggling family with small children, so I made the delivery to their home after dark.

It was THE most WONDERFUL feeling to drag this beautiful tree up their front steps and ring the doorbell. I disappeared before they could see who left it for them. It was awesome!!

·
Registered
487 Posts
every year my brothers and i get together to help a family in need

this year we have selected a person who works with my mother, she has 3 kids, barely makes enough money to pay her rent and wont have enough even for new clothes that her kids need....

the plan, my brothers and i are collecting donations at our work and its looking like we will hit about 500$ dollars this year, one of my brothers delivers pizza so we will actually collect the money and put it in a breatstick container box, then proceed to deliver a pizza to this persons house, he will say it was from a loving neighbor and happy holidays, then hand her the boxes....

last year we were able to do this same act and present around 600$ dollars to a family in need, who broke down in front of my brother, i sat and cried in my car as i watched a single father of 4 kids who had just lost his wife due to a horrible accident recieved the pizza box... without hesitation he opened it on the front porch before my brother walked away.... the man fell to his knees with tears, my brother, nor i could help but cry, he hugged my brother and accepted the gift..... this moment changed my life forever and will strive to do something special every year around the holidays to help the less fortunate

i'd love to win this ROAK but would also like to see other members post their stories and share what they can!

thanks for the opportunity!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I don't have a tank yet, so I'm just posting because I was so moved by those that have posted before me, and in hopes that others will post after. (This is only my second post on this forum! I've been a lurker for a while lol)

When I turned 21, a friend of mine had gone on a short road trip to Arizona to see a another friend of mine, and some family. While out there, I was walking from a hotel room to get some morning grub at Jack In The Box (Hopefully some of you know what that is... kind of a local fast food place in south west US) anyway... As I am walking along there was a homeless man sitting under a tree trying to get out of the heat a bit. He had a sleeping bag and a grocery bag with some personal effects to his name. He asked me if I had any cash on me, and at the time I didn't, just my debit card. I told him to join me for food though, and told him to order anything he wanted from the menu, we sat inside the fast food place so he could enjoy the AC as a paying customer, and he told me his story, all about why he was in his situation... It felt good knowing that someone who had no one to talk to would be able to get it out, and get a hot meal at the same time... I could tell it really raised his spirits.

Just thought I'd share my RAOK with you guys. And thanks for everyone you have done for others!!

-Scott

·
Invert Warrior
3,886 Posts
I don't have a long story involved, but in addition to my normal press to be more open minded each day, my girlfriend and I served in our campus soup kitchen.

We were two of six and we prepped a meal for some regulars. They weren't very happy, but I tried to smile as much as possible.

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

·
Registered
288 Posts
Let me start off by saying I know I'm blessed and fortunate to have as much as I do. I will often complain on here (TPT) about not having money to spend on fish stuff, but in reality if I really WANTED to, I could. My wife and I have just chosen to limit our spending on certain things to be able to provide for our kids, and others when we feel led. We are by NO means wealthy by american standards, but we have everything we need and some things we want, and from what I've learned about other places in this world... We are VERY wealthy. I say that because I don't want anyone here thinking I'm telling these stories just for the plants, I really would just like to share these stories. I've read several stories that have given me ideas or inspired me in some way. So, I hope to do the same for at least one other person :)

I couldn't decide on one of two of the stories I would like to share so I'm going to share them both.

Story #1
Our Church is great about never turning ANYONE away and always offers homeless people a place to stay when conditions aren't favorable, especially in the winter time/holiday seasons. We focus on providing food, shelter and companionship. The Church also does an awesome job year round with finding needs in the community (and beyond) and fulfilling them. My wife's and my Sunday School class is comprised of young couples (most of which are new to parenthood :)...) And we decided to take what our church does a bit further, and take it upon ourselves to provide gifts and food to needy families each year so they can celebrate their holiday seasons with a bit less stress. We buy clothes, toys and food and basically everything a needy family could need/want to celebrate their time together. We do not go as a group of people to the family's house, we have a couple of people go and take everything and offer to set things up if so desired, but we keep it as low key as possible.

But... Honestly, this is never enough, there are so many families and people out there in need that we can barely scratch the surface. But I love to see how MY kids are impacted by this... My 6 year (girl) old and 4 year old (boy) and 9 month old (boy) get so into helping others that they gather their own toys together (I'm not talking about the ones they no longer play with, often times, it's one of their "Favorites" they want to give) to give to children in need, not out of encouragement from me or my wife but from the love they have of people and desire to help others, and the desire to give other kids the joy they experience with their own toys. OK, so the 9 month old doesn't participate quite yet, but he laughs and smiles a lot, so I take that as his approval :). It gives me hope that if giving is that contagious that we will be able to reach more and more people every year. I could go on about this, but I fear I would just begin repeating myself, so I will just do story #2 now ;)

Store #2

We have family friends that are long term missionaries in Senegal Africa who we love and support, but they are not the focus of this story (don't get me started on them ;)...)... This story is about Pierre... Pierre is a West African boy around 12 years old that is the "bread winner" for his family, abandoned by his father that lives in the city near by (in this culture, it is common practice for a male to have multiple "wives" based on his monetary stature). His mother wasn't able to support all of his brothers and sisters so Pierre and one of his brothers had to move in with his aunt in ANOTHER town away from the rest of his family (but with his aunt on the aforementioned brother). Pierre, taking it upon himself to provide for his family, ran errands around town to earn money. He was a hard working, very generous kid forced to act as an adult due to his life situation. The missionary family noticed him running about all the time and found jobs for him to do. They eventually found out his story, and by chance mentioned him to me and my wife. We decided we would gather together money and wire it to the missionaries so that we could provide a gift for this hardworking young man to make his life a bit easier. Please keep in mind that there are several groups of people that I know of that often visit the general area and always take supplies, medicine (with a doctor), and clothing for these people so we didn't want to just give him a pair of shoes, we wanted to give him something he could truly enjoy, and he wouldn't out grow in a few months (as a still growing young man). So, we made our decision and once we had gathered enough money together we sent it to the missionaries to purchase a bicycle for him. The process of getting the money to the missionaries and purchasing the bike was more difficult than expected, but we and the missionaries were finally able to get it for him. Pierre was ELATED, the missionary sent us a few pictures of him as the proud owner of his new vehicle. They have updated us a few times on Pierre, telling us that he periodically wipes his bike down to keep it shiny. :) Now, he probably does not fully understand what Christmas is, but after hearing his story, we couldn't help but do our best to make his life a bit better, what a blessing to us it was.

Unfortunately, it just somehow never seems like enough, (there I go repeating myself ;)...) because there are always more people out there in need, I never feel like I give ENOUGH with something like this. I always think "I should have also given him.... and I could have sent...." etc...

If you meet these people you would be blown away, they are always wiling to give you the shirt off their back (literally) which is so much more than I can ever give, considering the different lifestyles. So our giving him a bicycle seems so moot compared to what I COULD have given him if I were to sacrifice a little more of the luxuries I have... It is very humbling in the grand scheme of things.

We have not lost touch with the missionaries and try to be as much a part as possible, we helped Pierre get his bike around this time last year, and he is still riding and shinning that bike to this day! :) :)

Thank you Bartohog for this thread, this is such a great idea for this time of the year... To put our focus back where it belongs!

Thank you everyone else for sharing your stories, they are so touching! I hope you all have a blessed Christmas!

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
some really great story's so far lets keep it going love reading them

Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
406 Posts
I havent really shared the story to much but maybe it will do some good. I will do the shorter version.
When I was in highschool a good friends sister who i was also friends with had leukemia. She needed a bone marrow donation. I generally don't fear many things but for some reason needles terrify me. So I never got tested and unfortunately she passed at the young age of fifteen.
Fast forward about five years ago a distant relative of mine had the same condition so I went and got swabbed to see if i was a match. Unfortunately I was not....
Now fast forward again I get a call from a member of DKMS that I was in the system and I was a match to some one who is very ill. Now they asked if i would like to proceed and immediately said yes. Of course I then asked what do i need to do... Well it turns out I had to go get my blood tested to make sure i am still a good match.
Now when I say I am terrified of needles I dont mean I get a little nervous, I mean I have gone skydiving, repelling, white water rafting etc... and that does not scare me, I mean I have not been to a doctor in fifteen years since i was starting college, I mean last time i went to the dentist I had three cavities filled with no novacaine because I refused a needle.
SO this was a an issue... but it was important to me, i felt i was given an opportunity to redeem myself for what i failed to do as a child. The reality is it is very few people who become a match and I was this persons best shot. So i went and gave blood work and well got real nauseous and almost fainted after only 7 vials of blood.
Holy cow how was i supposed to sit there for 5 hours as they took my blood with a giant needle in both arms...
I became panicked when my wife a nurse laughed at me and said 7 vials is a joke and its all in my head...
Well after a while the person became too ill and weak to have the transfusion. In a way I was sad and in a way I was relieved.
Fast forward a few months, the person was in a bad way and they decided it was neccessary to take the risk for the transfusion and i needed to get more blood work done they want to fly me out to Washington for the morning and move forward quickly. Well I was having so much anxiety for days but decided what ever it takes i will do this. Eventually i over came my fear and in fact they had to prep me by sticking me with needles for a week before the big day with this stuff that caused me to be in pain but I kept saying my discomfort for two weeks is nothing compared to what this persons family is going through. They flew me back out to washington where i sat there and gave blood and all the tests went real well. I was very fortunate to have a quick recovery and minimum discomfort. They took my blood immediately flew it to Italy to help this gentlemen...I pray he is still a live and having the chance to make memories with his family. All i know is he is middle aged Italian guy...
But more importantly it felt great and gave me the opportunity to realize fear is only as strong as we allow it. When we decide something is more important our hesitation, our fear becomes laughable as life is a gift and wasting time 'not doing' is not an option I now enjoy the needles as it is a reminder of how great it felt to overcome a small fear and have the opportunity to help another person because in the end it really made me feel great.
So please all go check out the DKMS site and get swabbed (they send you a kit which is basically a qtip for the inside of your mouth ) you never know you may have the chance to save a life.
Happy holidays and sorry i tried to make it as short as i could...

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Le Bump.

I edited my first post to contain my entry.

Thanks for all the great reads guys. The humanity in your lives touches me and brings a tear to my eyes.

I'm not normally like this. >___>

1 - 20 of 73 Posts