The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So - I know absolutely nothing about lighting. Here is what my used 30g came with.

Is it sufficient? What type of bulb should I get?

·
Registered
339 Posts
The more important question is what do you plan to grow? But most likely no its not sufficient looks like a t12 you probably are stuck with low low light plants. Mosses, java ferns, anubias, swords, bacopa to name a few. Your also probably going to grow very impatient waiting for new growth.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The more important question is what do you plan to grow? But most likely no its not sufficient looks like a t12 you probably are stuck with low low light plants. Mosses, java ferns, anubias, swords, bacopa to name a few. Your also probably going to grow very impatient waiting for new growth.

Can I get a better bulb?

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
How about removing the whole mount for the fluorescent bulb and putting a 24" fugeray planted plus under there. That's what I did on my 20 long.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
339 Posts
55k is the best bulb you can buy it wouldn't be sufficient still. 6500-7000k is optimal. If your short on funds I would go with low light plants. Its a good place to start anyways.

·
Registered
512 Posts
The 20 printed on the bulb means it's 20 watts. The thickness of the tube is a t-8. There are different fluorescent tube sizes. For example t-5, t-8, t-12. That bulb is a standard fluorescent so it's low wattage. There are high output fluorescent fixtures and bulbs which most who have planted tanks on this forum are using. They run double the wattage for the same size bulb but require a ballast and fixture to support it. You couldn't just buy a high output bulb for that fixture it wouldn't be able to power it.

I am not sure what color temperature that bulb is either. It's something you need to take into consideration. Is it more yellow(warm) or blue when you look at it? 20 watts on a 30 gallon gives you .7 watts per gallon. That's very low for plants. You could grow moss and low light plants very slowly. If you want plants I'd invest in a better light honestly.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 20 printed on the bulb means it's 20 watts. The thickness of the tube is a t-8. There are different fluorescent tube sizes. For example t-5, t-8, t-12. That bulb is a standard fluorescent so it's low wattage. There are high output fluorescent fixtures and bulbs which most who have planted tanks on this forum are using. They run double the wattage for the same size bulb but require a ballast and fixture to support it. You couldn't just buy a high output bulb for that fixture it wouldn't be able to power it.

I am not sure what color temperature that bulb is either. It's something you need to take into consideration. Is it more yellow(warm) or blue when you look at it? 20 watts on a 30 gallon gives you .7 watts per gallon. That's very low for plants. You could grow moss and low light plants very slowly. If you want plants I'd invest in a better light honestly.
What can I get for around $40?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Look on your local classifieds for a t5ho or I think of a should sell one for 50-300

Sent from my LG-D500 using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts