The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Ha no. :)

Do assassins eat shrimp? Was I misinformed!??

I have not witnessed it personally but there are a few accounts that have been stated on this forum that it will in fact happen. Not sure if they will wipe out all the shrimp or if they only do it when they are close and hungry enough.

Personally I would not mix the two.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I'm sure with RCS they breed easy enough to replace any ones killed by the Sins.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
The prefer easy prey, like slow snails. They won't eat baby snails though!

They will eat the occasional shrimp, but with cherry shrimp youll have hundreds soon anyway.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, definitely don't worry much about losing Cherries. They're underwater roaches when it comes to reproduction.

I've had Assassins gang up on older shrimp, though. So if you're attached to any particular shrimp... could be worth considering a different arrangement.
OK! Thanks for the tip. I'm going to keep a close eye on them then. If they betray my trust, into my community tank they go...with Mr. Pinchy..

·
Registered
820 Posts
OK! Thanks for the tip. I'm going to keep a close eye on them then. If they betray my trust, into my community tank they go...with Mr. Pinchy..
lol....does this mean you have a crayfish?

·
Registered
820 Posts
I sure do. He feasted on a birthing Molly last night. :) I have thread about that here too... :) Has Mr Pinchy, in the title. lol
lol...wow...do you mind posting your link to it....I'd like to see it...oops I see the thread...

·
Registered
131 Posts
I actually tested this. I put three in my ten gallon with my tiger shrimp and observed them for a half hour a day. Most of the time the shrimp and the shrimp got along and ignored one another. After about two weeks one morning I had dropped in some Hikari. The shrimp swarmed it then the assassin's came over. I watched as one of the assassin's started to go after a younger shrimplet. The snail just kept pursuing it through the tank. It was interesting to watch. He never got the little fella, but he was definitely hunting him. I removed the snails after that. I observed no massive losses of shrimplets so I am guessing they are like any predators and will pick off the weak and slow.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts