The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
529 Posts
numbah84
I am sure you are aware that cichlids like to rearrange their living quarters at the drop of a hat.You may spend more time replanting them or replacing them.
I have kept large cichlids before and any plants I put in with them seem to be pot luck, they leave them alone for ages then one morning you wake up to devastation (just seems to be moody fish) mine were Texas cichlids and green terrors.

· Registered
106 Posts
Pretty much none.i have a cichlid tank also.java moss is impossible to kill and cichlids won't eat it but they will rip it up in 10000little pieces.they also won't eat hairgrass but they will rip it up. I chuck all my off cuts from my planted tank in the cichlid tank, they will eat or tear up everything. I even had a 13in oscar once that chewed its way through the power cord on a heater and electrocuted himself :(

Beaten by rob^^

· Registered
1,586 Posts
Java ferns, Java moss, Anacharis, African fern, Anubias nana to name a few that are quite hardy.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
alright thanks guys. in the past ive only used those petco plants they sell in plastic wrap and those never do well. So im gonna try the ferns and anacharis for the ground and the moss for the slate I have in there. Im hoping they can take enough root before the fish get all butt hurt about them and try to do there own aqua scaping. So where do you guys think is the best place to buy plants?

thanks

· Registered
804 Posts
alright thanks guys. in the past ive only used those petco plants they sell in plastic wrap and those never do well. So im gonna try the ferns and anacharis for the ground and the moss for the slate I have in there. Im hoping they can take enough root before the fish get all butt hurt about them and try to do there own aqua scaping. So where do you guys think is the best place to buy plants?

thanks
Swap-n-Shop section on here is awesome. LOTS of good people selling, or even giving away, some really nice plants.

· Registered
1,845 Posts
... in the past ive only used those petco plants they sell in plastic wrap and those never do well...
Most of the plants sold that way are not aquatic plants, and don't do well under water.

As pointed out by others, there are very few plants that are going to survive with large cichlids. I realise this is almost considered heretical, but this may be a case where plastic plants are your best option.

· Registered
745 Posts
you just have to know what youre looking at...Ive found that Petcos and Petsmarts sell truly aquatic Java Fern, Crypt and Amazon Sword varieties...but you have to do your research

Ive always heard Java Ferns go over well with cichlids...but never kept them

· Registered
529 Posts
numbah84

Most of this kind of destructive behaviour is down to preperation for breeding. the male will normally prepare the area for spawning and this involves clearing it or digging a pit. and the females are fussy and may refuse a site so he will dig a few all over the tank. I am sure you have seen this with your breeding pair already.

Robert

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
kamikazi that actually sounds great. i could do some potting soil below topped wit sand in the pots and then i could grow plants without the shredding my the dempseys. So I f I went this route what is the best plant for clearing the water? I want to keep the tank healthy for spawns, so in a dirt topped by sand pot what is the best things to put in there.

· Registered
433 Posts
Try Anubias tied onto rocks with thread.

If your cichlids end up destroying your plants, I'd recommend some nice plastic ones. Don't buy them from pet stores, go to Michaels or someplace similar and pick out some nice plastic ones. Lots of folks on monsterfishkeepers do that with big cichlid tanks, and it looks good (but not QUITE as good as the real thing!)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.