The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to assume the green stuff that covered my wood and appears on my glass daily is diatom. When I scrape it off the glass does it just float around till it sticks to something new where it grows and grows and grows. I literally have to wipe my glass every day. This is new, My planted tanks have been flourishing for many months and newly are growing the green stuff on the glass at an outstanding rate.
Whats the deal???
My phosphates are high but I have quite a bit of established plants to absorb that.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
we've discussed this a lot the past 2 weeks, so look around for more info.
if you have a Pleco, he should be keeping your driftwood clear of green stuff.
glass is another story, as it may grow too hard for most rasping fish to eat
and must be removed manually with an exfoliating sponge.
The most effective way to limit this Green Spot Algae is to simply
reduce your lighting period to fall somewhere in the 6-8 hour range.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Does it have kind of a funny smell to it, look slimey, and come off in sheets? It could be cyanobacteria (blue green algae) which tends to happen when nitrates bottom out. Adding some nitrate + a good waterchange and manual cleaning tends to help!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Diatoms are distinctly brown.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea this stuff is green and starts out as almost a dust and turns to hard green spots. No pleco to many fragile plants. I have otos and in all my other tanks the otos have completely eliminated all the green stuff on the wood and plants but not the glass.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Green Dust Algae. A heavy enough buildup begins to look like Green Spot. One of the most common mis-identifications I see going on a lot lately. There are all kinds of theories running around to try to cure this algae. Do a search for green dust algae or GDA. You've got your work cut out for you.

·
Registered
842 Posts
It was my understanding that the stuff that is hard to remove from the glass is Green spot and that green dust comes off easily without too much scrubbing?? is that not the case?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think its both. I have the dust and then the green spots. My question is if I scrape it does it just float around and stick to something else and start growing again?

·
Registered
842 Posts
Yup. That's exactly what happens.

The hard green spots are usually indicative on phosphate defficency and really easy to get rid of once you up the phosphates. The dust agae is a whole 'nother story.

I had it, I tried everything and then it went away- I have no idea what did it, but my Bn plecos really loved the stuff.

·
Registered
274 Posts
It sounds like you have a phosphate defficency. 2 or 3 drops of liquid fleet between W/C's depends on size of your aquarium will solve green spot.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I think its both. I have the dust and then the green spots. My question is if I scrape it does it just float around and stick to something else and start growing again?
It starts growing again.. untill you up your nutients. mono potassium phosphate (KH2PO4) also known as Fleet Enema. Someone correct me if I wrong.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts