The Planted Tank Forum banner

The "Green" Salad Box

2915 Views 17 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  DogFish
A very GREEN low budget emersed growth project.

Back ground:

I've been using small jars & beta bowls to save failing rare crypts. I put a thin layer of pea gravel on the bottom of the jar. The gravel helps me gage how much water is in the container. I want it most but not soaked. Then I use a about 50/50mix of Dirt & crushed Oak leaves. Add my plant or rhizome pc. then cover with a baggie or saran wrap.

This was just a pc of Cryptocoryne affinis bare rhizome, took a month to get these leaves

Here a few months later, transferred into a 5gl emersed tank (largest crypt)

The Green Salad Box Project

Concept: Recycle, Recycle & Recycle.

I started with a plate of bits & pieces left over from a re-scape.

Next I had a plastic box that we buy Organic spinach in. I found the smartest way to get the labels off is to use a hair dryer and warm them up. It loosens the glue just enough. Here I've added a layer of Eco that I had.

Here I've added a about 1" of 40% dirt reclaimed from poted plants grown in my Aquaponic sump/goldfish tank. and 30% Oak leaves and 30% Sphagnum Peat Moss. I think this works best as it mimics the forrest floor, holds moisture, allows Gas/Oxygen exchange. Mist to damp level ~ don't soak.

Time to plant. I just lay the plants on the substrate layer and cover with more dirt mix. No great care was taken. Then moss from 40B was placed on the top. One last mist then replace the lid.

>>>Not shown was punching 3 small vent holes in the box lid. I used a nail I hold with pliers and heat on the stove to melt small holes.

Cover and place in a sunny window
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
873 Posts
Frank,

I am going to steal your idea, hope you don't mind :hihi:. I just finish my box of organic spinach and will be doing this setup as soon as I can find time. Thanks for posting.

· Registered
5,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Frank,

I am going to steal your idea, hope you don't mind :hihi:. I just finish my box of organic spinach and will be doing this setup as soon as I can find time. Thanks for posting.

Not only "don't mind", I happy you are going to try one. That was idea of the thread. Please do post up your efforts on this thread as I think it will help others. I'd think as more people try one we will learn a few tricks & tweks to make them better.

To me this is the hobby, get a few cuttings, or scraps and propagate your own. I try to plan ahead for my next tank or Aquascape and grow as much of my plants ahead of time. Right now, if you look at my Aquaponic thread,
I've turned that into a Anubias farm.

· Registered
742 Posts
Not only "don't mind", I happy you are going to try one. That was idea of the thread. Please do post up your efforts on this thread as I think it will help others. I'd think as more people try one we will learn a few tricks & tweks to make them better.

To me this is the hobby, get a few cuttings, or scraps and propagate your own. I try to plan ahead for my next tank or Aquascape and grow as much of my plants ahead of time. Right now, if you look at my Aquaponic thread,
I've turned that into a Anubias farm.
When they grow emersed can they then be submerged and grown to a full lush plant?

· Returning. Videotapes.
1,391 Posts
Newbie, they can be submersed at any time. The trick is to do it without getting any melt!!! Usually, the transfer results in some leaf melt, but not always....just depends on the conditions that the crypts were kept in prior to being submersed, the species of the crypt, and the conditions of the tank that the crypt is going into.

· Registered
5,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To follow Don's post, another factor is the humidity level of the emerged habitat. Submersed leave are not a thick as emerged leaves. In a high humidity emerged habitat the leaves are closer to submersed and sometimes can make the transition without melt.

· Registered
5,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
UPDATE @ 15 DAYS

You can now see some crypts, dwarf sag, E. Bellium coming up. The Taiwan moss is converting over to terrestrial form. One of the Anubias rhizome pc. is starting a leaf

I added some Persicaria 'Kawagoeanum. Also, few cutting from Ludwigia 'Senegalensis'

· Registered
5,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Persicaria 'Kawagoeanum seeds sprouted and they are about 3/4" tall now. The Ludwigia 'Senegalensis' appearers to have melted? Some of the dwarf Sag that was planted deeper has come up. I believe I have 3 different Sp. of Crypts up now.

Tonight I sowed some Nesaea 'trifler' seeds. I had some root prune cutting from Anubias Heterophylla that had tossed in a jar of tank water. They appears to start new roots. So I added a few of those trimmings also. As an experiment I set up a separate jar for some other A. Heterophylla root cuttings I applied a root hormone powder to those to see how that might influence growth. A. Heterophylla is not often seen for sale so I'm excited to see if either attempt might work.

· Registered
147 Posts
This is a really cool idea.

A while back I tried to grow Ludwigia 'Senegalensis' in my emersed setup. It didn't do very well at all. I received the plant in the submerged state and wasn't able to get it to convert to emersed. Recently, I saw a few new leaves come out of the tiny stem that's left so we will see. Either way, I think that Ludwigia 'Senegalensis' is one of the harder plants to grow emersed (or at least transition).

Best of luck and keep us updated!

· Registered
5,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
... I think that Ludwigia 'Senegalensis' is one of the harder plants to grow emersed (or at least transition)....
I also have some growing the grow bed of my Aquaponic system. Some doing well, some failed. I believe the answer going from submersed for to emersed form is having a root going on the cutting. I think the high humidity & High Temp are factors too.

· Registered
5,703 Posts
c. pondeterifolia is the only crypt ive had fail to transition to emersed. but it was already failing when i tried (thats why i moved it). took it 3 weeks to die, though. just never grew new leaves.
which is interesting since c. hudoroi did great, and i am under the understanding that its more sensitive.

· Registered
5,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Added some Rotala 'bangladesh' trimmings. They adapted very quickly. everything is doing well. The Anubias are slow as expected. The Persicaria 'Kawagoeanum now have their 2nd set of leaves. I have 20+ crypt up. No sign of the Nesaea 'trifler' yet. Kinda surprised at the dwarf Sag as thought it might grow faster.

I'l update pics in two weeks should be a more dramatic change by then. I am taking the box outside for morning & late afternoon sunlight.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.