The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello PTers,

I have long been part of this forum, but I don't believe I've ever actually posted in here. So forgive me if I am posting in the incorrect area.

With all of your suggestions, and long time reviewing, and a bit of trial and error (ok lots of errors), I have successfully been able to hold the ground on a beautifully planted 10 gallon, low tech tank for the last few years.

10gallon:
PH 7.8-8.0 (aged tap water 7.6)
KH - 5
GH - 9

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 10-25ppm depending on the day of the week (water changes)

40 gallon breeder is being picked up today, and will have a fishless cycle with old filter media. I would anticipate the PH KH and GH would be similar.

This will be my first attempt at a medium tech planted tank. CO2 , with 2 (probably) finnex planted 24/7s, and an aquaclear 70 HOB filter.

This was my current thoughts on stocking:
3 Honey Gouramis (1 male 2 females)
21 Pristella Tetras (too much too few?)
10 RCS (figured some would get picked off, and they'd reproduce, but maybe a bad idea?)
3 Zebra Nerite Snails

NO idea on plants yet.

Any suggestions on stocking, plants, or this setup?

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
The Pristella tetra stays under 2 inches- so, you are fine with 21 in 40 gallon with planned stock.

You may be able to keep some of the RCS alive with the fish, you may not. Ive not had very good luck with fish and shrimp together. But, others have. Its 50/50.

Have fun on your new venture! :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!

I just realized I have posted previously pretty frequently (must have been when I was looking for help on the 10 gallon.

I'll try the RCS.

Outside of the RCS, are there other peaceful fish that would live well with the 3 honey Gouramis? I'm not heart set on the Pristella tetras (willing to change), but wondering what else I could put in there. Am I understocked by quite a bit?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Hello PTers,

I have long been part of this forum, but I don't believe I've ever actually posted in here. So forgive me if I am posting in the incorrect area.

With all of your suggestions, and long time reviewing, and a bit of trial and error (ok lots of errors), I have successfully been able to hold the ground on a beautifully planted 10 gallon, low tech tank for the last few years.

10gallon:
PH 7.8-8.0 (aged tap water 7.6)
KH - 5
GH - 9

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 10-25ppm depending on the day of the week (water changes)

40 gallon breeder is being picked up today, and will have a fishless cycle with old filter media. I would anticipate the PH KH and GH would be similar.

This will be my first attempt at a medium tech planted tank. CO2 , with 2 (probably) finnex planted 24/7s, and an aquaclear 70 HOB filter.

This was my current thoughts on stocking:
3 Honey Gouramis (1 male 2 females)
21 Pristella Tetras (too much too few?)
10 RCS (figured some would get picked off, and they'd reproduce, but maybe a bad idea?)
3 Zebra Nerite Snails

NO idea on plants yet.

Any suggestions on stocking, plants, or this setup?

Thank you!
I would consider upping the honey gourami to 5-6 as you will get more natural behavior from them.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I second aqadvisor.com. It will tell you all about your stock list, tell you about incompatibilities, ideal numbers, ideal temp, ph, hardness, stocking %, filtration capacity, really everything you need to know.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Interesting. I assumed too many gouramis in a tank would cause aggression. Are you thinking 2 males/4 females for example?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
For most kinds yes. Honey's prefer to be in groups. They will build a hierarchy which works better in the bigger group. The 2/4 ratio would be perfect, though i wouldn't worry too much if you can't get that exact ratio. They will do fine with just the three though if you don't want more.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Thats really strange. I dont see an active website. Can you link me to an active page with a calculator?
I've been trying to access it over several months and it works on occasion, but most of the time is broken. I've had it load on my phone and then I immediately try on my laptop and it won't work. I've had it break in the middle of me inputing fish. And then sometimes it does work just fine! Very mysterious.

I know it's not the last word in stocking advice, but it's a helpful tool when I'm trying to think through my plans. I wish it worked more reliably!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Awesome! Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

Does anyone have any suggestions for a peaceful shoaling/schooling fish in place of the Pristellas?

I'm sold on the 5-6 honeys. Wife is not totally sold on the Pristellas unfortunately. We are looking for moderately easy to care for fish that schools or shoals.

In other news, I recognized my PH might be different from the other tank that is using stratum. I would anticipate this tank to be closer to my aged tap (7.6) since I will be using inert substrate (BDBS). So excited. Currently finishing the tank stand and debating on lighting!

Thanks for all of your help!

·
Registered
963 Posts
There are just so many options, that it will come down to your personal vision for this tank. But here's a place to start - https://www.seriouslyfish.com/knowledge-base/

You can click on Characiformes, then will have to click each name - most posted as scientific names - to get more info and pics. Availability may be one big deciding factor for you as well as your budget. But as you'll see, there are many option in addition to tetras.

Just as a head start, some of the tetras I keep and have enjoyed:

Diamond tetras, Candy Cane tetras/HY511 (Hyphessobrycon Bentosi), Kerri tetras (Inpaichthys kerri), green neon tetras (Paracheirodon simulans). I also keep 3 types of pencilfish - dwarf pencilfish (Nannostomus marginatus), diptail pencilfish (Nannostomus eques) and Beckford's pencilfish (Nannostomus beckfordi) - as well as Vietnamese White Clouds (Tanichthys micagemmae)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, I think I have an idea now. Let me know your opinions!

7 Honey Gouramis
30 Celestial Pearl Danios
20 Pygmy Corys
4 Nerite Snails

Any concerns? Too crowded?

PH 7.6 from aged tap. Not sure if i mentioned above. I think the stratum in my 10 gallon as substrate is causing PH to rise a bit higher.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.