7 - driftwoodhunter
8 - Bahugo
9 - firefiend
10 - sewingalot
11 - frrok

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
kamikazi - Yup, cold and muddy like a dog sitting at the back door during a rain storm. That's a photograph of my tank as of yesterday, due to a not listening to Mike and Nonconductive about pulling up plants and adding too much clay to begin with.

Thanks for fixing my number, Mike.

I'm not trying to quote anything for a long while. (I think this is Karma. )

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
ADA AS is "dirt" as well, is that included? It's clay loam, we have million's of metric cubic meter's worth in rice paddies. Pretty much the same stuff.

Non commercial will not suit the definition either.....since many use Miracle Grow etc.......and it's processed etc.......

Revise the definition somewhat to account for this? Or leave it be?
Tom has a good point.
I think its more about DIY rather than using something like AS.
Leave it be! Dirt is dirt and from what I've read even AS doesn't always behave correctly.

Thats all i do. i have found that a mixture of MGOC, some no name potting soil, and some no name top soil found at lowes seems to give me better results than just using 1 out of the 3.
Exactly! The kind of stuff we need to share with others
you read what I did on the lower stainless tank. Every thread will be different and stuff does happen.

hahaha stuff happens alright doesn't it #10 LMAO :wink:

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
kamikazi - Yup, cold and muddy like a dog sitting at the back door during a rain storm. That's a photograph of my tank as of yesterday, due to a not listening to Mike and Nonconductive about pulling up plants and adding too much clay to begin with.
wow has it settled yet?

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
The Fraternity of Dirt
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech
Member List
Joining please copy this entire text without quoting it then insert it (paste) in your joining post and add yourself at the end.
wkndracer - first member coining the phrase on TPT
nonconductive, Member #2 VP & Tye Dye Frisbee Hater
kamikazi #3,
wespastor #4, demonr6 #5, DogFish #6, driftwoodhunter #7, Bahugo #8, firefiend #9, sewingalot #10, frrok #11
Well, since no one picked up the ball yet:

The Fraternity of Dirt
Member list:
1 - wkndracer
2 - nonconductive
3 - kamikazi
4 - wespastor
5 - demonr6
6 - DogFish
7 - driftwoodhunter
8 - Bahugo
9 - firefiend
10 - sewingalot
*insert number & name here*
yes I did :icon_mrgr
Everybody please pass along whats below in your post joining and see you in the threads :proud:

The Fraternity of Dirt

Member List
Joining please copy this entire text without quoting it then insert it (paste) in your joining post and add yourself at the end.
nonconductive, Member #2 VP & Tye Dye Frisbee Hater, kamikazi #3, wespastor #4, demonr6 #5, DogFish #6, driftwoodhunter #7, Bahugo #8, firefiend #9, sewingalot #10, frrok #11

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
That is similar to what happened when I came up with the bright idea to just dump water into the MGOCPS and let the stuff float up so I can remove it. I did get the floaters but two weeks later it looked like a Starbucks exploded in my tank. Back to sifting..

·
Registered
79 Posts
kamikazi #3, wespastor #4, demonr6 #5, DogFish #6, driftwoodhunter #7, Bahugo #8, firefiend #9, sewingalot #10, frrok #11, Ichthy0loguest #12

I will work on getting a journal up soon!

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Everybody please pass along whats below in your post joining and see you in the threads :proud:

The Fraternity of Dirt
Member List

nonconductive, Member #2 VP & Tye Dye Frisbee Hater, kamikazi #3, wespastor #4, demonr6 #5, DogFish #6, driftwoodhunter #7, Bahugo #8, firefiend #9, sewingalot #10, frrok #11

kamikazi #3, wespastor #4, demonr6 #5, DogFish #6, driftwoodhunter #7, Bahugo #8, firefiend #9, sewingalot #10, frrok #11, Ichthy0loguest #12

I will work on getting a journal up soon!
Not wanting to be an arss and keeping only a short list for membership:

Welcoming any dirty tankers to join.
The use of dirt (any dirt) as the primary media under a containing cap material. That's the only requirement for membership.
CO2 or non, high tech / low tech doesn't matter. Got dirt? Got a journal about a tank with dirt? Good to go

Join by adding your name to the list and a link to your thread easy peezy.

banter in our threads and listing membership and links here in this thread is my hope and idea with this.

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
kamikazi - the tank is clearing up. I uprooted an enormous sword plant, didn't turn off the filters, didn't do it slowly, and didn't trim most of the roots like some other members #1 & #2 tried to tell me. Add that with approximately 1/3 clay to mineralized dirt ratio and viola! Muddy waters. Now everything is nicely covered in 'soot' and after 24 hours and many water changes, I am thinking "I should have listened." :hihi: Here it stands at the moment.

----------------
For Mike (just because I still know how to copy and paste even if I do screw up quotes, lol):
-----------------

Everybody please pass along whats below in your post joining and see you in the threads

The Fraternity of Dirt
Member List

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Thanks Sara, I tried to repeat the posted thoughts and updated the opening post putting my answer to what Tom Barr asked in that. Hope that clears the mud LOL
Writing as I think it never comes out exactly the same way twice LOL

dirty tanks :proud:

and don't forget to link your tanks :icon_mrgr

41 - 60 of 582 Posts