The Planted Tank Forum banner
21 - 40 of 582 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I'm lost when it come to technical stuff with computers - I was nearly 40 before I got my first one! lol I use Picasa, so I started a Picasa web album with Google. Now I have to figure out how to link to it. I have to go into work now, so at least I won't cook my brain just yet...lol

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Yep, I hadn't thought of that until he mentioned it. I'm not sure someone like me, just adding premade "dirt" under another premade gravel really shows any kind of accomplishment in planning...

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Thats all i do. i have found that a mixture of MGOC, some no name potting soil, and some no name top soil found at lowes seems to give me better results than just using 1 out of the 3.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
ADA AS is "dirt" as well, is that included? It's clay loam, we have million's of metric cubic meter's worth in rice paddies. Pretty much the same stuff.

Non commercial will not suit the definition either.....since many use Miracle Grow etc.......and it's processed etc.......

Revise the definition somewhat to account for this? Or leave it be?
Fraternity of Processed Earth Substance? ;)

I do get the point though, it is not true dirt per se but if I were to dig up my back yard, once I get through the first 10' of fertilized sand I would hit clay. Our subdevelopment used to be a nice orange grove before they razed it, dumped layer upon layer of fill crap then built houses all over the place. Sad, but true.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Damn! and I worked hard on that one answering Tom LMAO!!!!

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I like this,
"NPT is the use of dirt (any dirt) as the primary media under a containing cap material"
"NPT - natural planted tank
Broad term for soil based aquariums"
Keep it broad, include MTS, MGOCPM, top soil, potting soil, compost and mixtures.

To me though its anything soil based not specifically produced and sold as an aquarium substrate. But I'll accept those using soil based aquarium substrates like AS as part of the Order.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
The Fraternity of Dirt
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech
Member List
Joining please copy this entire text without quoting it then insert it (paste) in your joining post and add yourself at the end.
wkndracer - first member coining the phrase on TPT
nonconductive, Member #2 VP & Tye Dye Frisbee Hater

kamikazi #3,
wespastor #4, demonr6 #5, DogFish #6, driftwoodhunter #7, Bahugo #8, firefiend #9,

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
i like this,
"npt is the use of dirt (any dirt) as the primary media under a containing cap material"
"npt - natural planted tank
broad term for soil based aquariums"

keep it broad, include mts, mgocpm, top soil, potting soil, compost and mixtures.

To me its anything soil based not specifically produced and sold as an aquarium substrate.
bingo!

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
I feel like a turd. I do have this still on my clipboard:

Got dirt? Got it wet in a tank? Get a number and join! (if you choose)
Share what happens using what you put put in a tank both good and bad.
I'm not about 'excluding' people. More about doing and learning so nothing elite about me LOL.
I owe you big. So :icon_redf and I feel like this:

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I would like to be a part of this. I have two threads at the moment in the low tech forum. I guess they should really be in the journal sections. Exuse my noobieness. I wasn't sure cuz they are both low tech with MGOCPM sub.
3.5 g
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/low-tech-forum/142157-3-5g-npt-first-tank-post.html
10g
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/low-tech-forum/144642-another-npt-conversion-mezza-luna.html
The Fraternity of Dirt
Member List

kamikazi #3, wespastor #4, demonr6 #5, DogFish #6, driftwoodhunter #7, Bahugo #8, firefiend #9, sewingalot #10, frrok #11

-frroK

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I would like to be a part of this. I have two threads at the moment in the low tech forum. I guess they should really be in the journal sections. Exuse my noobieness. I wasn't sure cuz they are both low tech with MGOCPM sub.
3.5 g
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/low-tech-forum/142157-3-5g-npt-first-tank-post.html
10g
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/low-tech-forum/144642-another-npt-conversion-mezza-luna.html

-frroK
doesn't matter what section just that you share in a thread

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I feel like a turd. I do have this still on my clipboard:

I owe you big. So :icon_redf and I feel like this:

The Fraternity of Dirt

Member List
Joining please copy this entire text without quoting it then insert it (paste) in your joining post and add yourself at the end.

kamikazi #3,
wespastor #4, demonr6 #5, DogFish #6, driftwoodhunter #7, Bahugo #8, firefiend #9, sewingalot #10

21 - 40 of 582 Posts