1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
following

·
Registered
427 Posts
I'd love to see some more nice filter-free setups!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome picture. You say this is after a rescape, how long has the tank been running? Do you do water changes? Is there anything providing water movement? What's the flora/fauna stock like?
This was the tank before the current rescape, which is unfinished.

I only did top offs maybe once a week or so. Stocking was 14 Flame Tetras, ammonia reading was always zero, nitrites zero, nitrates never over 10ppm. Movement provided by small pump. Tank was only running 9 months before I had to move house, gave the fish to my mum.

I did make a mistake with this tank and that was using John Innes 3, my water was already very hard and this sent it up further. Other than that the only thing I'm doing different this time round is removing the pump and heater, but that's only because I don't want to this time round.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Hi I am new here and I really like the idea of filter-less tank because I have an area I would really like a small tank (6 gallon bookshelf at lfs) but I want as few cords as possible since its on a nook bar like thing.....so I am following

·
Registered
112 Posts
We do have a lot of plants in our tank. We even have an emersed ivy to pull out nitrates. But all of that doesn't get our water looking like what I see in these photos. I can't post a pic here since it's not filterless. But check my profile.

Maybe the trick is to keep a tank more lightly stocked than we have.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I am crazy interested in doing this for a 40gallon. I just want lights, heater and a very small powerhead for water circulation. I was thinking of running DIY Co2, would that be ok?

1 - 20 of 94 Posts