The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

OK, I think I have sorted out the problems I was having with stacking images. The photo below is of an immature drumming katydid (Meconema thalassinum) that I posted on my blog last night. It is compiled from a stack of 41 images. Its head was no more that 2 or 3 mm across. What do you think?

Now it is time to move on to some other subjects. I especially want to spend more time photographing aquatic insects...so I should be posting pictures of more "wet" critters soon...

Cheers,
EC
www.macrocritters.wordpress.com

katydid face copyright Ernie Cooper 2012 sm for post by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
Why did you need 41 layers?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
layering photos of different ISO values allows one to capture a 'whole' image
Actually the ISO is the same for each picture, but the focus is slightly different. When photographing at high magnification you have very little depth of field. By combining a lot of images you can create a photo with everything in focus...something you couldn't achieve with a single picture.

Cheers,
EC
www.macrocritters.wordpress.com

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
layering photos of different ISO values allows one to capture a 'whole' image
That's a new one on me.

EWTC how long did it take to shoot all 41 shots? Better yet how did you get it to stay there for 41 shots?

I am of course assuming you used PhotoShop. Which version?

I'd love to see the layered file.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Actually the ISO is the same for each picture, but the focus is slightly different. When photographing at high magnification you have very little depth of field. By combining a lot of images you can create a photo with everything in focus...something you couldn't achieve with a single picture.
Nice trick. Now to find a bug that will stand still for all of that. I'll have to play with that.

·
Registered
357 Posts
my apologies, my girlfriend is the photographer! i sat through her layering and stacking landscapes and various other shots, to bring out various details lost with high/low ISO values.

I assumed it was the same principal, but the depth of field makes sense. thanks for the clarification :D

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
Yeah but 90% of the HDR I see looks like crap. People tend to overdo it. Done correctly it's great.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
I found a stunned dragon fly on the ground. I posed it onto a leaf.
My version of photoshop doesn't have focus stack so I did it by hand.

I didn't use a tripod so it made things a bit difficult.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1 - 17 of 17 Posts