The Planted Tank Forum banner

The Dueling 20L's

5303 Views 40 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  Islandgaliam
Hi, and thanks for stopping by another attempt at journaling. I have had these 2 tanks going since March and am finally succeeding after a little over a year of learning about planted aquariums. After many trials, errors, and learning curves, by golly, I think I am getting it!

Any comments, advice, suggestions are greatly appreciated and welcomed :)

Both tanks:

Tanks: 20 gallon long
Lights: Tank #1 BML Dutch Planted 6300k,#2 BML MC Dutch Planted 6300K
Filters: Eheim 2215
Substrate: Eco-Complete
C02; GLA Pro-2 Regulator, GLA Inline Atomic Diffusers, Cal Aqua Pearl Drop Checkers
Fertilizer: PPS-Pro with additional Seachem Iron

This is Tank #1

Fauna: 6 Honey Gourami, 2 Thick Lipped Gourami, 13 Neon Tetras, 6 Pygmy Cory
Plants: Lymnophila aromatica, Japonica blyxa, Creeping Jenny,Ludwigia rubin (emmersed form, starting to redden), Ludwigia repens, Marsilea minuta, Dwarf hair grass, Pogostemon erectus, Lobelia cardinalis, Brazilian pennywort (floating; made 2 rings with air tubing so I can move it around), Christmas moss

This is Tank #2

Fauna: 6 Leopard Danio, 7 Neon Dwarf Rainbow, 3 Guppy, 4 otos
Plants: Mayaca fluviatilis, Heteranthera zosterifolia, Rotala rotundifolia, Dwarf hair grass, Ammannia gracilis, Lobelia cardinalis, Mermaid Weed (which used to fill up right hand corner, but SAE thought it tasted good..I have one small sprig left, and SAE has been removed), Micranthemum "Monte Carlo"
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did a lil trimming after this mornings water change. This is the 2nd time I have trimmed the Star grass, lets see what it looks like in a week

Monte Carlos is not looking so hot. Any advice for this one?

Yesterday, I cranked up the light and upped the c02 a bit...ludwigia rubin is getting some red.

· Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think monte carlo will stretch if there is not enough light. Is it exposed to direct light or is there something covering it? Very nice looking tanks mate! :)
Thanks! It's directly exposed to high light. It was much more green when I planted it. Maybe the yellowis is due to potassium deficiency?

· Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The 10g

Thought I would put this one on here too. I added the crypts on the back left on 03/01/15; they were very yellow (way more than it shows in pic) and wasn't sure if they would make it

2 months later, a few ferts and lower light, they are doing well. Tempted to add sand to the spot in front of the stump, but not quite sure yet

Bump:
Great tanks. I love the tank dimensions.
If I had my way, it would be one long tank across the room :biggrin:

· Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, I almost really blew it...instead of unplugging c02, I unplugged heater. Used air pump on each tank, fish seem to be ok now, color is back, they are swimming and eating raising temp 1 degree each hour on Tank #1...think it will be ok.

Tomorrow, I will go buy those timers...glad I came home after work and not late this evening.

· Registered
1,445 Posts
[/QUOTE]Monte Carlo takes a while to catch. I would plant as much as possible in the substrate and leave just the very top of some leaves showing. It will eventually start sprouting all over. After about a year I had to rescape my 11g low tech because the MC had covered the entire tank and was near 2 inches thick in most areas. I did not use C02 or ferts in that tank. There are pics of it in one of my logs.
Tanks look great.

· Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Monte Carlo takes a while to catch. I would plant as much as possible in the substrate and leave just the very top of some leaves showing. It will eventually start sprouting all over. After about a year I had to rescape my 11g low tech because the MC had covered the entire tank and was near 2 inches thick in most areas. I did not use C02 or ferts in that tank. There are pics of it in one of my logs.
Tanks look great.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info :) last night I broke up the clumps into smaller clumps and replanted a bit deeper...some of if it had started to float. I will "dig a bit deeper" tonight - lol.

· Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
3 day update

Luwigia Rubin is starting to get some good red at the top, starting to change color on a good part of the plants. Think I will let it go a few more days before I snip/replant the tops.

And, the Purigen arrived today! Tomorrow the 300gpd Aqua Fx Barracuda RO will be here. This will make water changes ways easier :bounce:

· Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Today's tank pics. It's going well, fish appear healthy and happy..neon tetras are dancin' and the honey gourami's are bubbling :hihi: Just a lil hair algae, nothing that can't come off with a small trim on the top. Monte Carlo did it's melting; pushed it further into the substrate, and getting new growth. Star grass has bounced right back up since the trim the other day. This is such a fascinating hobby!!

· Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
While doing the trimming of the floating brazilian pennywort, I decided to make a few changes; the plants in the back couldn't be seen to well and now matter how I moved each of them around, they were still blocking light, but the honey gouramis need their cover so we compromised - lol I moved the pennywort to the right end, removed the hair grass and put the bylxa in it's place. The creeping jenny still had some black hair algae so I hacked it up, and planted only the algae free parts; the plan is to keep it trimmed at about 3 or 4 inches to make like a bush. I also trimed the ludwigia repens and planted it behind the wood to fill in the hole in the back...much better now :)

Bump: This was a surprise! This came from my 10g, and I couldn't remember what it was. 2 months ago, it had one lil piece of green coming out of it, so I threw it in this tank to see if it would come back..and it did - lol. I believe this is a melon sword, and a thick lipped gourami saying hi :)

The leaves with the black algae were cut off after this pic. I sure hope that's that last of that stuff!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.