The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have a 100g Acrylic tank, 60"Lx 18"Dx 20"H and I was wondering about LED lighting for it. The tank will be freshwater and it will be heavily planted. I already have two Eheim 2217 and I will be purchasing a pressurized Co2 system within a week.

The question I have is; ... What kind of LED's, the Lumen's, the spacing and the LED count?

I was told that Cree's were what I was after, but with me being a Dope about LED Lighting for an aquarium, I was hoping some one here could give me a little information.

Thanks
Bill

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
The problems with LED's are that pre-made light fixtures are way out of sight on price, but the details of doing a DIY version to save money are so complex and full of possible problems that you really have to have a passion for them to go through it. The sticky in the DIY section chronicles my journey to a LED light, which is still working great, and was not overly expensive either.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The problems with LED's are that pre-made light fixtures are way out of sight on price, but the details of doing a DIY version to save money are so complex and full of possible problems that you really have to have a passion for them to go through it. The sticky in the DIY section chronicles my journey to a LED light, which is still working great, and was not overly expensive either.
Hoppy,

Thanks for your strides and your post in taking on such a task. It looks like you figured out how to get it to work pretty well. In your opinion, do you think that it is an advantage to go to LED's over other lighting and do you think it is justified to go to the expense, time and money for a 100g tank?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts