The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
OMG! That has got to be one of the coolest things I've ever seen! I'm with Jen... I want one too!

Man! That could be my next project... too cool!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Whats the deal with the mineral oil? Is that acting as a coolent? Never knew a comp could be submerged...pretty sweet.
Yes and the fan keeps it churning so there are no hot spots. The guys at work are not going to believe this.

Thanks for sharing man, good find.

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
The only problem with using the fans submerged in a cooling system like that is that the fans will generate a ton of heat due to the resistance from the mineral oil. It would probably be better to remove the fans, and install a couple powerheads to circulate the mineral oil... although even then it might be too thick.. not sure...

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The bubbles do circulate the oil very well, and mineral oil is actually thinner than you think. Obviously the fan slows down regardless, but from what I've read, the vast majority of the heat still comes down the usual suspects, ie the CPU. I'm reading that that particular setup max's out at 180 degree's F when run long and hard, but I'm still trying to confirm that as it seems a little high ;)

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Wouldn't the air bubbler circulate the oil a good amount too?
I'd think all submerged fans should be replaced with elaborate heat sinks.
The top should include some heat sinks half submerged and half immersed
with fans moving the air above to offer some sort of heat exchange as
the heat able to radiate out the sides of the aquarium may not be enough
to keep up with the heat being generated by Mobo, HD and power supply.
maybe the bubbles should actually be percolating through the power supply
grill and along the surface of the motherboard and HD, instead of off to the
side where it's providing no cooling circulation to heat generating components.

·
Registered
48 Posts
it'll wreak havok on electrolytic paper capacitors and it'll run extremely hot, but that's the pimpinest case mod I've ever seen

-Rich

·
Registered
375 Posts
Over clockers have been doing that for years! Not only does it make for a really quiet computer system, but the movement of the oil will keep the system running very cool.

Before youtube, there was a guy who use a water pump to bring the oil on top of a dismantled window unit. This kept the oil at a nice 35 degrees! He had the video hosted on his personal website. It wasn't as pretty, but it did a great job!

However, I am surprised that they submerged the power supply. For those of you thinking about doing this, the one thing this video does NOT show you, is DO NOT SUBMERGE YOUR HARD DRIVE OR CD-ROM DRIVE OR ANY TYPE OF DRIVE!

I can personally verify this setup works!

·
Banned
560 Posts
OH my god!!! WOW I am going to try that!!!! Starwars planet tank. Hmmmm What would you folks think of a 38 gallon tank turned computer with a flat screen in the back instead of vals. Maybe silk plants and some those plastic fish you see in nightlight tanks. Bubbler across the whole back and behind the flatscreen. Power supply would be a HOT filter.LOL cd drive would rise out of the tank on a angle like a emerse hygro. Foreground would be a keyboard right on the front of the tank. LMK what you all think

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
The only problem with using the fans submerged in a cooling system like that is that the fans will generate a ton of heat due to the resistance from the mineral oil. It would probably be better to remove the fans, and install a couple powerheads to circulate the mineral oil... although even then it might be too thick.. not sure...
I was thinking the same thing...

Mineral oil (or cooking oil) doesn't conduct electricty.
Or the computer would crash...

One thing. Wouldn't this be messy?

-Andrew

1 - 20 of 24 Posts