The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have my 40B up and running I can focus more of my attention on my 6gal Edge. I've always had a shrimp tank, My first tank was a 20 gal long Red Cheey Shrimp tank, which was very easy to keep. Within a month of getting them, there were berried females. After keeping them for about two years, I have been researching Crystal Red Shrimp for months.

I have slowly made a list of materials and purchased them over time. After the price of a new LED edge went on sale to $116, I had to buy one. Next was aquasoil. Since the tsunami over in japan the shortage of aquasoil delayed the tank for some months. I finally found the whole system at one location, ADG. I bought a 2 liter bag of Power Sand Special-S, a 9 liter bag of Aquasoil Amazonia II, and a 9 liter bag of Aquasoil Amazonia II Powder for $130ish shipped to Alaska. I also bought 5mg each of ADA Clear Super, ADA Turmaline BC, ADA Bacter 100, ADA Penac P, and ADA Penac W.

Here's some progess :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. I caved on cybermonday and my new edge just arrived last night. Still staring at it trying to decide what direction I'm going to take :)

·
Registered
744 Posts
It's tough to decide between the two. If you won't be adding other plant varieties, Option 1 could lead to an impressive field-like scape when all grows in. Option 2 hides the filter which is always a bonus and the shrimp may appreciate the surface area and holes in the hardscape.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
That has got to be the most random thing I've seen all day - a bunch of cherry shrimp appear and then they ALL disappear. Did you add them just for the pictures? because amazonia doesn't come in cycled lol.

Also why guppies for an aquasoil tank?? they are alkaline fish...

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
So is the tank cycled? New Amazonia leech amonia for 3-4 weeks.
This tank has been running for 8 weeks now and it is still not completely cycled. Last week over the course of 5 days and a waterchange I lost all my RCS to an overnight ammonia surge.

Do you think 7.5w is enough for a 6 gallon tank?

I had a 15w heater on a 3 gallon tank and it had trouble warming the tank in the winter when the room temp was in the low 60's.
My room temp is at 70°, so the heater is keeping the tank at a cool 73°.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
That has got to be the most random thing I've seen all day - a bunch of cherry shrimp appear and then they ALL disappear. Did you add them just for the pictures? because amazonia doesn't come in cycled lol.

Also why guppies for an aquasoil tank?? they are alkaline fish...
Yeah, I thought the tank cycled and over the course of a week, I introduced groups of RCS and overnight from great water quality to bad ammonia levels and all my cherry shrimp were lost.

The guppies were 80 cents, so I'll ket them cycle the tank til it's ready for CRS.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
ouch, didn't expect that all of those shrimp pictured died like that x_x
amazonia releases ammonia on its own, you didn't need fish to cycle it. especially fish that normally hate acid water.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wasn't pleased when I woke up to go to work and they were all passed. But better RCS than CRS. Here in Alaska RCS are $4.50 each vs. $15 each for low grade CRS. I'll move the guppies back into the 40B where the water perms are more basic.

For water changes I take a 3 gallon bucket and dose with prime and let it sit for 3 - 4 hours, then slowly do a water change.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts