The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
its looks as if no one here has ever been to the centreville aquarium. They have GREAT fish and inverts (freshwater and saltwater) at rock bottom prices. They have also nice plant at a cheap price ( not a very big selection, but they are cheap.). Like every non-chain lfs, their dry goods are overpriced.

They also have pond plants.

·
Registered
67 Posts
last place I went to was Super Pets

Store was ok, ick in one tank and a few dead fish here and there. They only had one bag of Florite, and some other brand of substrate for plants that I had not heard of.

They had decent specials on tanks themselves for just the tank and stand (cheaper than petsmart if you wanted a new/unused tank). Price on an xp3 was 189 bucks on sale. I got one online with a coupon for 100 dollars less.

Some plants for sale. - I'm still a n00b but wasn't overly impressed with what was there.

Staff appeared helpful.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not so CHEAP!

I personally love his store, but let me point out his price gougeing on filters and chemicals. Here's my list.

Centreville Aquarium Fluval 305 canister set $349.95

Petco in Chantilly Fluval 305 canister set $130.00 plus you get 25 ft vacuum!

Centreville Aquarium Prime 8.5 chemical $12.99

Petco in Chantilly Prime 8.5 chemical $8.00

Centreville Aquarium Penquin 350 $90.00

Petco in Chantilly Penquin 350 $46.95
Now I do like Dave's fish and plants better, but come on!

·
Registered
439 Posts
FYI: Centreville Aquarium has gone out of business.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Centreville Aquarium has definitely NOT gone out of business. I just spoke with the owner on the telephone.
Then they must have moved because they are not in the same location.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Maybe you're thinking of Fox Mill Pets? Both of their stores are closed/closing. But yes, Centreville Aqaurium is still open as I just placed an order for Cardinal Tetras this morning!

Good thing since I can't find a better place to get Ghost Shrimp either!

As far as I know they've always been in the same shopping center (just off of 28 near the bowling place). But they did move a couple doors down in that same plaza.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Maybe you're thinking of Fox Mill Pets? Both of their stores are closed/closing. But yes, Centreville Aqaurium is still open as I just placed an order for Cardinal Tetras this morning!

Good thing since I can't find a better place to get Ghost Shrimp either!

As far as I know they've always been in the same shopping center (just off of 28 near the bowling place). But they did move a couple doors down in that same plaza.
I drove past again this evening and there is an empty storefront where they used to be -- between the Asian food store and the Karaoke bar. Where exactly did they move too?

Funny, I too was looking for ghost shrimp when I first noticed they were gone.

·
Registered
42 Posts
There's a bank sort of blocking your view of the strip they're in. It's across from the strip with the IHOP near Payne's Diner. A very nice place, the people are very helpful and they always seem to have ghost shrimp, which seem to run out too quickly everywhere else.

The only thing is, I wouldn't buy veil tail bettas there. Something about the breeder that they must get them from, I've gotten two tail biters in a row from there. It's something that can be hereditary, so fight the urge to buy veils from them. The crowntail I got from them many months ago is still gorgeous and doing marvelously, and I've noticed they've started stocking deltas that are quite pretty.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Yep -- I found it a few weeks back. Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not out of business, as I "discovered" them today. They are currently located at:
13830 Lee Hwy # 7 • Centreville, VA 20120-2441 • (703) 266-2100

I will admit that I'm incredibly spoiled, and therefore was somewhat under-impressed (though it is the only LFS I've visited in NoVa). The store is just so much smaller than what I'm used to. I moved to Leesburg about 2 years ago from Lancaster, PA where my LFS was That Fish Place. I worked about 2 minutes from this store, and would stop in at least once a week to walk the isles and isles of freshwater fish, and then browse the huge plant room, followed by the the saltwater fish isles. I'm at the point where when I need to buy a new fish, I'm ready to get in the car to make the 2+ hr. drive back up there! (Selection and quality in the chain pet stores - and even LFS - is just not what I'm looking for!)

I did buy a nice plant today at Centreville Aquarium, as well as a few supplies (though I'm sure I can do better on price by ordering online in the future).

·
Registered
696 Posts
I've been a customer of David's for over 10 years now. He will try to match online prices (with shipping), just talk to him about it. Over the years, I have bought both saltwater and freshwater fish from him, his stock is solid, I can remember only 2-3 times when his fish died on me, and even then, they were chaulk basses, not an easy fish to keep.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Great selection of healthy fish. Fresh and Saltwater. Reasonable prices on livestock and plants. As most LFS's, the dry goods and supplies are heavily marked up.

Vast selection of substrates, lighting, stands, tanks, filters and food. Again, overpriced but good if you're in a pinch and need it quickly.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts