The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an ancient bag of red sea seasalt (about a decade old) and its been open like that in my garage for about a decade lol and the garage has been bug bombed before (the box however was always closed and the bag was pretty well placed.) It was also on a high shelf out of reach of the fumes which tend to follow down into the floor. I'm thinking of using this stuff to raise some brine shrimp and possible for some other purposes.

I've already got a 100ml test batch of artemia going in a graduated cylinder and I'm wondering just how sensitive these guys are? Would they be a good test against the toxicity/lack there of of my salt?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,997 Posts
I don't know, but in general all invertebrates are sensitive to pesticides.. After all, pesticides are designed to kill invertebrates.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I suspect. Oh well. I'll know by tomorrow.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GAH. I made the solution too saline! Oh well. We'll see how they fare at full sea water...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Excellent! and also the exact same species I'm using. Alrighty then. I'll definitely keep an eye out for crappy hatch rates.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It has been about 14 hours and I have nauplii and many emerging cysts! Looks good so far. And I'm also very surprised about the hatch speed. I suspect it's because of the extreme amount of aeration I'm providing them and the marine salt instead of table salt.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I got a good hatch rate. I'd say around 70-80% and now I'm trying my hand at decapsulation and dehydration. I botched the decap process by not rinsing all the bleach off but I added some sodium thiosulfate so hopefully it wasn't too late. I also forgot to aliquot the batch for dehydration too...oh well. We'll see if I even get a single shrimp out of this.

For all interested in decapsulation it's really easy:

1.Rehydrate eggs in RO/distilled or tap water (RO is better)
You can use as much water as you want but I suggest an ample amount. maybe 500ml for every half teaspoon. This takes 10-20 minutes. To make sure everything is properly hydrated you need to bubble it.
2. Filter w/ coffee strainer or brine shrimp net.
3. wash out the eggs back into the container with ~300ml chlorox bleach then bubble the eggs once more. Bubbles them for 2-5 minutes. The eggs will start off brown and then turn orange. If they go yellow you've gone too far and the eggs are probably dead (but you can still feed them to small fry and fish after rinsing thoroughly with water or sodium thiosulfate)
4. Decant and strain in a coffee filter. Rinse under running tap water you can add dechlor if you want.

Hatching follows the same procedure of normal shrimp. But with decap you don't have shells to choke fish or impact them and they are sterilized/free from most bacteria. Plus decap eggs can be fed directly.

Brining is done by adding eggs to a saturated solution of salt water and then letting them sit in your fridge. At 12 hours replace half to all of the brine solution. They'll last up to a month like this. Longer periods of storage require further dehydration (more brine water changes/using a dessicant) and freezing.

Here's the hatching container for all those interested. For my next try I'm going to try neutralizing the bleach with H2O2 as it should act much faster than the sodium thiosulfate and I'll also know when it's all reacted with. Although we'll have to see how much peroxide I'll need to add...



Also a word from experience. Don't try to feed them in a volume of less than a litre-gallon...they'll all die. I try feeding my first round as they made stage 2 instar (when they get mouths). Water all fouled. No survivors and it STANK.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Killed my first batch of decapsulated eggs. They were bleached too long due to my stupidity... Oh well. After my first successful decapsulation I'm going to try to make my own DHA emulsion using egg yolk or powdered lecithin and fish oil. The idea is that the emulsion will coat the guts and outsides of the shrimp with DHA and fatty acid rich fish oil which will make bigger and better fry. Here's a link:

http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/Enriching-Brine-Shrimp-c82.html
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top