The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all,
I'm not new to tanks (mult. fresh and reef tanks), but I am new to the idea of vivariums, paludariums, terrariums, etc... I've been on a few other forums, no one really seems interested in the build and have gotten very little to no feedback. So here I am! (Besides ya'll are on tapatalk and THATS what's up:biggrin:).

So anyways, stumbled across the idea online and had to have one. Just so happens I had an extra tank laying around the house and went for it. Have a bunch of pictures of the build so far and I'm kinda stuck on the next move. So here we have it....

The Original Idea

Tryin' to get a feel for it

Thought I was going to have to drill the tank to get the water clarity I wanted for the fish.

False Bottom

Still unsure about plumbing for fog. I know they need larger gauge pipe but unsure if the idea would even work. Looking for four fog outlets, just for effects.

Retaining walls cut

Girlfriend's artistic interpretation lol

Now all the questions really start to arise.

Canister vs In-tank filter for waterfall? Really unsure of headroom, sumps, etc for this small amount of water. Just want it to be clear and clean.

What about this fog? Think it's possible to plumb fog like this?

I also have plans for a misting system and air circulation but havent gotten there just yet. I also decided to go with the great stuff background (once I have all my plumbing in place) and foam over it. Silicone then substrate etc etc. The narrow water section will also be sloped for a shallow area/ easy exit for the dart frogs.
I'm trying to think of more questions but I'll post back with them and more pictures as I have siliconed the walls in and blacked out the tank!

Thanks for looking and ANY input!

Scott

·
Registered
471 Posts
Extremely interesting idea.

I can't really comment on the filtration, but for fog, have you considered one of those ultra-sonic fountain misters? I don't know if putting it into the main tank water would be a good idea or not, but you could prowly figure out a separate place to put it if you had to. On the other hand, I have seen ones meant for putting into ponds, so they may well be fine in the main water area ....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I have heard of the in water ones but not too sure of the effect it would have on the fish. I really like the idea of the fog dropping over the waterfall and out of the trees. Maybe im taking it too far? lol here some updated pics. Blacked out and siliconed in. Sry bad pics (camera phone):icon_roll

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK so I'll wait and stare :bounce: I'm thinking the in-tank filter is going to be the way to go. I wanted the waterfall to sit higher but the base has to sit in the waterline. Oh well. Maybe I can plumb a return in the wall just in case I find something that will work...hmmm

·
Registered
471 Posts
A sump might be a good idea for this project. I'm assuming that a constant water level would be a Good Idea, and a sump would work to offset evaporation effects on the water level, as well as giving you more "space" for livestock.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So build like a mini overflow? And diy links to something like that? The sump is probably the best idea but really didn't want to drill the tank on my own. Like 50 dollhairs a bit. Think I could get a glass company to do it for cheaper? And what size return pump would I be looking at for about 4ft? I guess a ball valve would do the trick. I always worries about bogging a pump down too far.

My original idea was to drill it and put a filter sock on the drain to a 10g sump with a couple HOB filters running the back up the back of the tank, thru the wall and down the water fall. And it would REALLY help with the evap.

·
Registered
9,100 Posts
Im not sure how much water you plant to have circulating total but I would think that an Eheim classic 2215/2217 would be a great filter for your needs. They produce about the clearest water of any canister on the market, are easily removed from the system via quick disconnects (which also function as a flow control by being able to turn down the flow rate on the outflow side) and also present very good bio filtration.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A diamond bit should only be $10-15 dollars. It'll do around 10 holes before wearing out.

Cool build you have here.
Jcgd, where are you finding these prices?! HD ridgid diamond bits were like 45 for 1 3/8". They didn't even sell the 1 1/4". I'm asuming a 1" overflow? 1 1/4" bit for the bulkhead to fit?

·
Registered
471 Posts
You might be able turn some of the space under one or both of of your "banks" into a sump/evap buffer. Connect them with a tube under the waterfall, have a drain/overflow in one (perhaps right into your filter sock, you could mask it with rocks or plants, and use plastic craft mesh for straining), then put the pump into the other one. No drilling, very simple plumbing.

That would require putting your plants in some sort of liftable tray to sit in or on your banks ... that could get a mite complex.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
water testing today! Got almost 48 hrs into the cure and couldn't wait any longer lol :icon_roll I couldn't smell it and assured myself 40hrs with a fan would do the trick.

No leaks thus far but I guess we'll wait and see :icon_eek: How long do you think?

Tank frame looks gross, I know, but the girlfriend said she'd paint it the right color once all the plants are in. *shrug*

·
Registered
333 Posts
I've seen small canister filters on amazon.com a few times, labelled as "turtle canister filters" that are for 20 gal. tanks. I would imagine one of those would work great for you. I'm guessing you only have about 5 or 6 gallons of water in that tank, and you would be able to zip-tie the plumbing to your egg crate before foaming in with great stuff. That way you wouldn't see any plumbing whatsoever, you could have a nice waterfall, and great filtration.

Just a thought.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.