The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Depends on what's wrong with it. Fish can clamp their fins for all sorts of reasons.

What else can you tell us?

How long have you had the fish, what tankmates, and do you see anything else wrong? Any other fish showing anything wrong with them?

What are your water parameters?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
all tank mates are rainbow fish. the fish have been in the tank for about 3 weeks.
only one has clamped fins and her belly looks a fat. ph 6.8 nitrite 0ppm
nitrate 20ppm ammonia 0. I have manzanita in the tank and im wondering if she snagged her fin and belly on a limb i dunno.
the rainbow fish have came from a tank that was up and running for 2 years.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Agree with lauraleellbp. Clamped fins is a very generic symptom - could be just about anything. Any other symptoms? Fish acting funny? Test your water for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates and post the results.

{Edit: You posted your parameters while I was asking you to. Your nitrates are high. A nice big water change (or two) would help a lot.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
If your nitrate levels are 20ppm from dosing, that's fine. If they're 20ppm w/out dosing then I also agree that some water changes might be in order, as if nitrates are that high you may have some other organic buildups as well.

None of the other fish are picking on the sick one?

I'd probably also QT it just to be on the safe side...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i just went downstairs and took another look really hard. it seems like the front part of the anal fin is gone. its not bit off or fin rot. its weird. i dunno.
i thought it was clamped fin becuase a little peace of the front part of it is there by the front fins but the middle is gone and the back part is there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.