The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve seen people use cotton thread (probably not a good idea), nylon, copper wire for temporary fix…
I was wondering what is the best permanent way to fix Anubias/Ferns on wood branches, so I do not have to take out wood later and remove any kind of wire/thread…

Thanks!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Cotton thread is actually a very good idea cause it's natural and it dissolves (or rots) in water after a while so there's nothing to remove. Nylon and polyester you would have to remove afterwards. Copper wire is a big no no unless you never ever plan to have any shrimp or snails in the tank. Another method is to superglue the plant to the wood. Once the glue dries it's totally safe. Apparently it might even be safe before it dries, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Harry

·
Registered
414 Posts
Super glue is safe even before it dries. This is because super glue requires water to "dry" so when you place the object into the water it instantly hardens, rendering it safe.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Are we talking about any super glue here? Why does the LFS guy sell what seems like some sort of specialty glue for this job?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Any cyanoacrylate based glue should do. Reefers use it to glue coral frags to live rock. My wife actually makes an epoxy/superglue sandwich to attach her frags.

You might want to use the gel type glues it it doesn't run all over the place. Also, you will want to be careful about application as cured superglue turns white so you obviously don't want it all over visible parts in your tank.

One last thing. Superglue is not permanent. It will eventually weaken. The hope is that your anubias/java fern will have attached to your wood by the time the glue breaks down.

Charlie

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your comments! Good stuff.

The reason I wasn't sure about cotton thread for Anubias/Ferns is that taking them to attach to roots/branches longer then moss for example and cotton thread might dissolve before they attach... It happened to me even with moss once before...

In case of glue, do I glue only the base of the plant or base+roots?

·
Registered
283 Posts
I am also interested in this as I will be putting down several Anubias, a few ferns, and some moss in the next two days.

So, same question as above and how would one do this with moss? In small spots here and there or try to make an small layer of glue across the entire bottom of the moss.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I actually use rubber bands to attached Anubias to rocks. After a couple of months the rubber band will break down to the point where it will snap off and the plant will have taken root by then. For moss I wrap cotton thread around the wood with the moss on it.

·
Registered
481 Posts
If you are doing moss w/ superglue, I would recommend spots here and there. but to be honest, I would recommend blakc or green thread for moss.

For rooted plants like anubias or java fern I would glue the roots to the underside of what I was attaching too. Some people will use glue on the rhizome but imo I don't think the rhizomes like to be pushed up right against the surface the plants are attaching to.

Charlie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts