The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently met with a an Azoo rep from Taiwan while over seaseas. they showed me some data that was well supported by the research on horticultural lighting. They actually did the test on submersed red and green aquatic plant species.

They also measured the Red pigment and the chlorophyll content as well as general relative rates of growth to support their claims. Data was impressive and on par with what one might expect if the light and the spectral graph was correct.

Bottom line was the relative intensity in the right places for the light, but the light still has a very nice white 6700K range appearance.

The unit was made of machined aluminum. Very well made. A metal blank billet could be made to adjust the height, one does NOT come with the unit, that is it's ONLY detraction I can think of really.

But you can buy one, or make one out various other materials if you need to adjust the height. Not a huge issues really.

The unit I got is 8 w, 120 degree light spread.

I'll post data for the PAR vs distance tomorrow or the next day.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Cool, it's nice to see you're experimenting with LED. I personally love my LED fixtures, so much control, so much colour, it's a great time for this hobby.

Looking forward to your updates, I never heard of Azoo aside from their Co2 regulators.

·
Registered
12,842 Posts
They also measured the Red pigment and the chlorophyll content as well as general relative rates of growth to support their claims. Data was impressive and on par with what one might expect if the light and the spectral graph was correct.

Bottom line was the relative intensity in the right places for the light, but the light still has a very nice white 6700K range appearance.
Also you... ;)
http://www.mobile01.com/topicdetail.php?f=290&t=3960810&last=50779351
Two= the spectrum is unlike all the other lights I've seen to date, they PAR radiographic curve is weighted to the red and yellow light, with a smaller blue spike
needs a pic:

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Cool! I saw someone else talking abut this light in early June. I really like the look of it and was thinking of getting one or two for my shrimp tank so I don't have a big bulky light on there. Do you know if these are on sale yet and the price range?

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can you post a pic of the spectral graph. I couldn't find it on their site. Also, did the rep say that they will be offering it in the states?
They have not posted it yet. They showed it to me 1st. But they are not going to publish it, at least not yet. But it's an ideal graph for plants and also has a very nice high CRI and white light.

I think John from Seven Seas(Whoilesale Vendor here on TPT) will import it.

It made the ADA lights look like junk frankly.
And you cannot adjust the height on the ADA either.

I think this is 1st time in some 20+ years I was not told a ton of baloney about lighting, Marketing horse manure and tripe. They showed me their data, then asked what I thought.

Very straight forward. There we no holds in the data.
This should translate very well to the practical. I've seen and heard every whacky marketing ploy for lighting and plants under the sun.

So far I am convinced.
The PAR is all that's really left and to try the product.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That seems like a really smart design if it swings out of the way like I think it does.
It does, but like the ADA LED, no height adjustment, but.......you can make a simple flat metal piece and attach that to the stand to clamp on to.
you cannot do that with the ADA LED's. Nor do the ADA lights swing out.
ADA has always seemed about 10 years behind on light technology.
Under powered in terms of PAR and over priced.

I think 2 of these mini's would fill a 20 gallon nicely.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
That 97CRI 5200K spectrum is yummy. Phillips apparently is also working on a very high CRI array that has blue/red/violet diodes. This is the first generation of it that came out recently.

·
Registered
12,842 Posts
That 97CRI 5200K spectrum is yummy. Phillips apparently is also working on a very high CRI array that has blue/red/violet diodes. This is the first generation of it that came out recently.

Look at all that 660nm red.. yum... and blue.. oh and violet ;)

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Changed your mind on LED, gus6464?
Nah my current setup is almost identical with 3 LED's. I emailed Bridgelux to ask them about the spectrum of their 90CRI 5600K white and they said next revision will contain the graphs for their new 90CRI stuff. They did say though that all their 90+CRI stuff pushes red a lot more. This is my current spectrum:

+

+

All I am missing to make it perfect would be more push in the 470-505 range. I could add a 3-up with cool blue/cyan/green but the problem is I can't find a 60deg optic that would work with a steve's led chip.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
This is gorgeous! Wife WOULD KILL ME lol. I'm a sucker for this machined aluminum stuff!

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
saw these lights in person at toms house and wow were they bright, only bad thing if you can call it that for me personally as I have a lot of tanks and space is limited so they are all cramed next to each other is also having the option of having em swivel up instead of sideways. all in all though I cant complain and its a great idea, very tired of having to lift my light fixture off my tank everytime I need to feed my fish (i have glass covers on my tank so in order to take em off I also need to move the lights. Also Any idea if they plan on making a bigger version for say a 10 or 20 gallon tank?

·
Registered
963 Posts
Looks like a small fixture for small tanks? Are they doing 36" long versions of the fixture?

I think this is 1st time in some 20+ years I was not told a ton of baloney about lighting, Marketing horse manure and tripe. They showed me their data, then asked what I thought.
Hahaha! :)

Michel, thank you for letting us know.

1 - 20 of 173 Posts