The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my first attempt at an iwagumi setup.

This started out as a nature style aquarium but after filling, i decided against it. Instead i was drawn more towards the simplistic style of an iwagumi tank. So I went ahead and drained it and restarted with an emersed setup to avoid the hassle of trying to root hc.

Living in Vegas i didnt have access to a large selection of equipment and stones, so I stuck with the most common components I could find around the city.

I plan to add 2 ottos, 2 corys, and my red cherries. Not sure if I should add any mid swimmers as im afraid of overstocking the tank.

The tank will be filled within a week or 2 when I receive my actual lighting fixture, the 26w catalina, and I will be doing DIY co2. Dosing will be with kents pro plant and kents iron since im lazy and this is to remain a low tech tank.

SPECS
10 gal tank
24w lamp. Soon to be replaced
fluorite red and sand
SCAPE
zebra stones
hc

I started out trying to recreate a beach scene with white gravel, but the result wasn’t great so I had it turned to sand.

Some java moss mixed in at the foot of the mountain

THE CHASM!! DUN DUN DUUUNNNNN!!!!!!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looking good! Good job growing the HC pre fill - sooo much more difficult submerged.

Planning on adding more plants or keeping it simple? Should look great regardless.
Thank you. The wait was dreadful on the carpet as I didn't decide to switch to iwagumi til after it was grown in. It tore me apart ripping up certain portions to place in the rock work. :icon_conf

I initially wanted to add some more flora but didn't know what to add. I wanted to maybe place a crypt towards the front but from past experience, my 3 in tall crypt turned into a monster over a foot tall. :red_mouth

·
Banned
943 Posts
I have to say I really like this. I spent a lot of time at the beaches of CA when I was a kid and this really reminds me of some of those beaches. I think you captured it very well. Also the sand is ok, but I think those rocks really did it justice. I think maybe if you uncovered a little stip of the rocks and then that led into the sand that would be perfect. But dont make it a straight line, try to blend it and make it kinda like a wavey pattern. Anyway just a suggestion.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I wanted to add some fish but not sure what to add and how big of a school. And also since it's an iwagumi, does it pose any problems with hiding places. I don't want the fish to be skittish.

And do you guys think I should add any other flora in the setup? I don't want anything too big to keep the illusion of the mountain range.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.