The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I'm new to planted aquariums, and recently, I got some plants. Here are my tank stats and equitment and plants that I currently have in the tank.
-ph: 8.2
-Ammonia: 0
-Nitrite: 0
-Nitrate: 5-10
-Temperature: 75
Light: Marineland Reef Capable LED Fixture
Substrate: Eco-Complete
Filter: AquaClear 50
Plants:
4 Mayaca
5 Banana Plants
5 Red Jungle Val

I was just wondering if there is anything else basic that I absolutely have to have. Thanks!

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I'm not sure that LED light is enough for a planted tank. I think there are some threads that give the PAR readings for it in the lighting forum, but I haven't searched for them. You might want to do that.

·
Registered
85 Posts
How many lumens is your LED rated for? When I researched them recently, they were all pretty low. The LEDs have not caught up to meet the planted tanks' needs yet (vs. SW tanks --different needs). I look forward to the time when we can all switch the LEDs.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Are you sure? The LED lighting (I was told) is the best out there because it can support a reef aquarium, which need a lot more light than a high-light freshwater planted tank.
The lighting needs of reefs and FW plants is different--you get different bulbs for reefs and for FW aquariums, for example. It's not just the amount of light but (I think) where it fall in the light spectrum. While I know that you need different types of CFLs for the different situations, I'm only guessing that that is true for LEDs as well. I'm not sure. If you send Marineland an e-mail, they will certainly give you their opinion. Or check their website. I use the double brights and am happy with them on 10g tanks. Don't know how well they would work for a deeper 40g tank, however.

Leah

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
see if you can get about 2 PAR38s with color temp of around 7000K (whatever they offer that's not for reef) Also choose highest degree optics or no optics (you don't want a spotlight effect). Its a strong light, very intense and will get through that 40 gal even if its a tall tank. try them out, if you can get them around 7000K then they should work for you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.