The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... a call to all the Aussie plant geeks
What are your dosing regimes???? :confused:
Plantex CSM is not readily available without import, ADA is expansive beyond the uni student budget and dry ferts are not easy to find (although several hydroponic stores can help u out pm me for details)
So let us know your dosing!!
cheers
trymypride

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi trymypride,

Try www.aquagreen.com.au for most of your dry ferts.

The past month I have changed from commercial ferts to Dave's chemicals and seeing better results.

Still using Seachem Flourish though.

For Fe now using Yates Chelated Iron.

Quite a few are using Yates Trace Mix for traces with good results.

Also checkout my link for the Aussie way. :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sorry trymypride,

Have a look here for a full range of chemicals he has.

http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showthread.php?t=1159

I didn't realise that he doesn't list them all on his site.

Rex, didn't you know everything in Australia is more expensive than the States. Have a look at our fuel prices. $1.37 ltr, they'r saying it will be $1.50 within a month. Some parts are already over $1.50 ltr

·
PT Biologist
3,220 Posts
That's $21 AU, which today is about $17.22 US, for 2.2 lbs. So it's about $7.83 a pound for premixed PMDD. That seems reasonable to me.

Those prices for the PMDD crystals are rather expensive. $21 a kilo.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
I can easily ship 16 lbs of ferts to AU for $37.

Figuring the following:

5 lbs KNO3
5 lbs K2SO4
2 lbs KH2PO4
2 lbs Plantex CSM+B
2 lbs Mg2SO4

I come up with a total including shipping of $5.43 USD per pound.

So I guess it still seems high to me considering that shipping is not figured into the $7.83 per pound for the premix.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Rex that sounds good - Ill get back to you...
The KNO3 wont make it - trust me i cant get it from one side of the city to the other by freight as its classed as 'dangerous goods'. But the CSM + B sounds great.
Ill PM you later
cheers

·
PT Biologist
3,220 Posts
It's always cheaper to buy in bulk. CostCo Rule #1.

·
Registered
18 Posts
That's pretty stupid if you ask me. How do they transport gasoline in Australia? Or propane?

Here in aus kids can buy fuel as long as they bring approved containers :eek: :eek: but since 9/11 trying to buy kno3 is very difficult even though it's been a staple for agriculture for decades.

trymypride the dry trace I use is http://www.duralite.com.au/specifications.htm#RESOLIN%20APN%20MICRO%20MIX

I get all my dry ferts from there but I'm lucky as they are only about 15mins from me :smile: not sure f they can ship or not though.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Ok... a call to all the Aussie plant geeks
What are your dosing regimes???? :confused:
Plantex CSM is not readily available without import, ADA is expansive beyond the uni student budget and dry ferts are not easy to find (although several hydroponic stores can help u out pm me for details)
So let us know your dosing!!
cheers
trymypride
General plant food micronutrients:
JBL Ferropol (no KNO3 or PO4 content) - liquid - from LFS

Macronutrients dosed separately (key element in brackets):
Seachem Iron (Fe) - liquid - from LFS
Potassium Nitrate (KNO3) - powder - from Fronine Laboratory Supplies (purchase online)
Potassium Chloride (K) - powder - from any nursery or Bunnings
Magnesium Sulfate (Mg) - powder - Epsom Salt from any chemist
Phosphate (PO4) - powder - from LFS: AquaMaster 'pH DOWN' is Sodium Phosphate-Monobasic

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Here in aus kids can buy fuel as long as they bring approved containers :eek: :eek: but since 9/11 trying to buy kno3 is very difficult even though it's been a staple for agriculture for decades.

trymypride the dry trace I use is http://www.duralite.com.au/specifications.htm#RESOLIN%20APN%20MICRO%20MIX

I get all my dry ferts from there but I'm lucky as they are only about 15mins from me :smile: not sure f they can ship or not though.
That site you link to where you buy your trace also sells Potassium Nitrate in 25kg bags. Granted, that would last you 75 years of aquarium use, so I can see why that might be a problem. Fronine sells it in 250gm plastic bottles. Not cheap though.

Interesting, Duralite also sell Magnesium Nitrate (as well as Ammonium Nitrate and Sodium Nitrate). I wonder if Magnesium Nitrate would be more useful to aquarists than KNO3 anyway. It's almost equal parts 9.5% Mg and 10.9% N, and I'm dosing those two in pretty much equal measures separately now anyway, so having them combined would be one less ingredient needed in the fert regimen.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.