3,220 Posts
You mean people haven't?

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Blue, here's a family friendly Anime, Manga, Games forum you can try;
Essential Anime Forums - Powered by vBulletin
this category can get pretty racy, and
games forums are great but hostile places.
I also suggest you read more than you post
since these forums can get pretty opionionated.

Akira was an overrated flick that turned a lot of
American's & Europeans on to Anime 20 years ago
and does not even make it into the top 10 best Anime's.

my personal favorite Anime series thus far is Cowboy Bebop.

an imaginative Anime movie in English I recently liked;
Miyazaki's Spirited Away

·
Registered
467 Posts
i'm only watching bleach these days. the english dubs are horrible! i swear cowboy bebop is the only one with english voice actors on par with the originals.

i heavily recommend wonderful days. came out of korea a few years ago; very good.

it's pretty easy to keep current thanks to all the anime torrent sites :)

Akira was an overrated flick that turned a lot of
American's & Europeans on to Anime 20 years ago
and does not even make it into the top 10 best Anime's.
my personal favorite Anime series thus far is Cowboy Bebop.
wow. just wow. it's your opinion, so can't really argue that but holy wow. Katsuhiro Otomo has influenced a generation+ with his stories. you can see it almost everything popular. if you think the movie is overrated, read the manga. it's really hard to fit around 1600 pages into 2 hours.

·
Registered
695 Posts
For people who haven't seen an anime show before what do you reccomend they watch/read first ? My friend is crazy about naruto and idk why but then again i have never seen it .

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
attack, your point is well taken,
but saying Akira is great is like saying Star Wars is great.
Yes, they both inspired a generation in their category,
but by today's standards, they are both kinda sucky.
your point about fitting all the 1600 pages into 2 hours is true.
even Philip Jackson's 9 hours of LOTR barely did JRR Tolkien justice.

what I would consider a true classic would be something like Blade Runner,
which not only helped inspire a whole new category of movie,
but still stands on it's own even today as one of the best ever made.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
hey fishlover? been sick ? lol cause u werent in school this whole week o yea full Metal Alchemist.. and Naruto

by metal ALchemist all the way

its crazy they try to revive their mom that died because the dad lefted them and the dad is the wholes greatest alchemist and they created a monster by trying to bring ther mother back and its starts

·
Registered
695 Posts
yup i was sick this week sucked :(. I might check out some naruto videos on youtube maybe could i find full metal alchemist on there also ?

·
Registered
467 Posts
fish_lover0591, cowboy bebop is the only way to be introduced to anime. it also sets the bar so high, most fail to compare ... but there's nothing wrong with that :)

the sn ratio is horrible for quality/crap.

if you're interested in a horror genre, vampire hunter d: bloodlust (based on book3); the first vamp hunter d is also great, but the art direction is very 80s and well .. i dunno, i love it 'cause it's classic but it's not as well executed as the newer one.

both are based on a graphic novel series that was recently translated and released! i haven't bothered picking it up yet 'cause they're not all available.

·
Registered
467 Posts
spypet, akira stands up pretty well for it's age. when kaneda and kay are on the hover bike, coming out of the elevator .. you can't deny the air currents are amazing. i haven't seen anything that comes close to the quality of that particular scene and it's hand drawn.

or the intro bike chase leading into the tunnel, just wow.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Spypet, I love Cowboy bebop also, and spirited away was such a cute movie.

Full metal alchemist rocks. I've never really understood milk chan. Lupin the 3rd is pretty good aside from it's "vintage" style. FLCL is some messed up stuff and way too short. Anyone got a suggestion for a "crazy but you have to see" anime?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Death Note! And spypet, you have a very strong opinion. Personally, I have never seen Akira. Not even heard of it. LOL. Well comparing Akira to Star Wars must be great. And how you said its sucky these days. Do you have a problem with classical movies/anime? GOOOOD! Star Wars sucky?!?!?! I think you are too... I can't find the word here. Neoman. Neoist. I dunno.

Just read Death Note, but don't watch the anime. Only AFTER you have read the manga. My friend finished the manga in a weekend, so I imagine you could too. Its only 108 chapters.

Kind of surprised you actually started this thread lol.

In terms of video games: I love Final Fantasy and Metal Gear solid. I've played FFI, FFII, FFIV, FFVII, FFVIII, FFX, FFX-2, and FFXII. They are ALL great, but I loved FFVIII the best. My first Final Fantasy. When I was around 9 years old? Didn't understand a bit on how to play it. Then next was FFX when I was around 12. Understood it more, and busted out FFVII, one that my mom bought be never played, and the rest is history.

Metal Gear Solid, IS GREAT! Storyline is great but the gameplay is just great. I've only played MGS2 and MGS3 but they are both great games. GOOD!

Bleach is great. I've heard great things on Cowboy Bebop but never saw it. My friend lent me Trigun DVD's, and I'm liking it so far. I loved Samurai Champloo. Naruto is great too. Shaman King, SUCKS because it was getting stupider and stupider and the story prematurely ends. The writer got bored, or something and just stopped. Very, very sad.

Ok I'm done blabbling

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
O yah and I forgot. Howl's Moving Castle is great. But the book is even better. The book is by Diana Wynne Jones and she is great. The book is pretty different from the movie and I love the book's storyline better.

Spirited Away was awesome. Kiki's Delivery service is also great. And one called "Mimi wo sumaseba." But I dunno the english name :-D. Miyazaki movies rule.

And don't forget Totoro!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I loved totoro the first time I saw it. FFVIII was the most fun for me out of that series. Have you tried Legend of Mana? or Legend of Legia? I liked them both. Legend of Mana is a little cutesy but you get to raise your own dragons. I liked Chrono Cross too.
Ryu- Yeah I started this thread because it looked like something of interest and I didn't want it to overshadow the other thread.

·
Registered
676 Posts
As far as book's go . . . has anyone read Stephen King's "Dark Tower" series?

·
Registered
467 Posts
no, but i've heard good things about it. i'll probably pick it up when books interest me again.

blueguppygirl, you might like karas. it came out on dvd late summer/fall. very flashy, alright story... or just download bleach. ep115 came on weds. it kinda drags until around ep50 and then it keeps getting better and building.

it's very... dbz in the power levels/fights, but it's just i dunno .. cool? hard to explain the appeal :)

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Nope, but have you read Stardust by Neil Gaiman? Great book. I'm planning to go buy more Neil Gaiman books. My friend loves him a lot.

Edit: NINJA'D! LOL!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts