The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to post this yesterday, but for some reason it didnt show up.

Anyhow, here's evidence of the abilities of nerite snails in only 24 hours. They cleaned off this rock completely, and then moved on to bigger and better rocks (and the glass, and plants, etc). I did add a stick to my aquascape, but its the same rock, and its less than a day later.

Before:

After:

·
Registered
573 Posts
Olive nerites I got from Wilma are doing great. I think I got them 2 years ago and they are all alive. They make eggs like mad but the babies do not survive. I think if you had a bad case of greenwater the babies might do well. They have a 1-2 day planktonic stage IIRC.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I believe nerite need brackish water to breed. I dont bother with nerite anymore, and restrict to only 1 per tank. I had 4 in my shrimp tank before... BIG mistake, everything had eggs on it. even the moss

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They seem to be eating predominantly green spot algae, normal green algae, and diatoms. My SAE and amano take care of any BBA or hair algae that might pop up.

I've only had these guys for a couple days, but so far no eggs. Anyone successfully raised them in brackish water?

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Gotta love them nerites!

I've only had these guys for a couple days, but so far no eggs. Anyone successfully raised them in brackish water?
Not from what I know.

With that said, I bought about two dozen a while back and they bred like rabbits, I dunno if they were a true nerite though. Sadly the babies were less than 2mm and I was about to rescape...

Isn't that how all these Invert stories go? :hihi:
-Andrew

1 - 10 of 10 Posts