The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all!I decided to do a journal on my newly setup 48 gallon shallow aquarium.I think it was meant to be a frag tank, but for 35 bucks who cares?

I'll count this as my first actual post besides a couple in WTB/ROAK section.

Tank:
48 gallon 36x24x13

Equipment:

Filtration:AC 70,sponge filter,Whisper 10-20
Lighting:Odyssea 36" dual t5HO 78 watts
Substrate:Black Diamond blasting sand
Ferts:Flourish,Seachem root tabs

Flora:

Java fern
Anubias Nana
Crypt wenditti
Crypt parva
Crypt lutea(I think)
Java moss(I think)
Subwassertang
pennywort
jungle val
dwarf sag
banana plant(melting) :icon_frow
ludwiga
salvinia minima

Fauna:

ramshorn snails
1 large blue apple snail
3 axolotls:
1 golden albino male-7-8"
1 wild type male-6"
1 leucistic female-7"

This is my first real attempt at a planted tank and there is no real aquascape on it.I just kinda threw stuff around and left it there.It looks terrible and I really don't like the driftwood, especially the one on the left.I would really like some spider wood or something similar, but I cant find anything affordable.If you have any recommendations let me know.

I put my axolotls in it because its perfect because of the floor space.I might end up adding one more.Aren't they so adorable?They are definitely my favorite aquatic animal and I have been keeping them for almost a year now.It's a real pain trying to keep their water below 70 though.

It looks really bare right now too.I ordered a bunch of plants but most turned up DOA.I was able to salvage some penny wort,2 jungle val,and 2 dwarf sag.I just order some floating plants so the axolotls can get shade from the light.Lets hope they don't turn up DOA.:proud:

I have a question.Would the tank be considered low or medium light.I thought since the tank is only as tall as a 20 gallon long it might be considered medium instead of low light.Not sure though.The light is a daul 78 watt t5HO in case you didn't see it up top.

Sorry for the terrible pictures:icon_redf

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whoa, I totally forgot I made this thread. This tank looks totally different now. Pics to come when the lights turn on tomorrow:)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fauna:
same three axolotls
ghost shrimp(feeders)

Flora:
java fern
elodea
crypts
marsilea
dwarf sag
jungle val
duckweed
dwarf lily
tiger lotus
amazon swords
ludwigia repens
some type of hygro
and probably more...

Ferts:
none

I still have the same light, but I'm not happy with it. I probably need to raise it up higher and get better bulbs. The whisper crapped out on me and I hate the AC 70, so I might end up with a canister filter.

Does anyone else here keep axolotls?In planted tanks?

And as promised...some terrible pics:hihi:

Bump: Some eggs that were laid yesterday. It's a real pain in the butt to pick hundreds of tiny, sticky eggs off all the plants :icon_roll

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you! It has progressed A LOT from when I first set it up as you can see lol. It does look better in person though. My iPhone makes everything look horrible. Maybe I'll splurge one of these days and get a decent camera.

I've decided to start actively updating this journal. I've got a few more plants coming in tomorrow.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It has definitely come a long way! I love the low shallow tank, and what a steal of a deal. I also love the axolotls, they're such a unique animal.
Is that still the same odyssea on there? Are you able to grow stuff adequately at the corners of the tank or is it too dark? I've been hoping to start a shallow tank like that but lighting spread has been a question mark for me, so if you're doing it successfully with just one fixture that gives me encouragement.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was a pretty great deal. It even came with a stand (It's ugly, but it gets the job done :tongue:).

Yep, it's the same light. Surprisingly, I get pretty good coverage with it and most areas of the tank are lit well. I am considering getting the odyssea quad T5HO or adding another fixture with this one to get even more light coverage. I'm hesitant to add more light though, because I can't add co2 or too many ferts with the axolotls.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I'm thinking about adding the 0.10W Freshwater Bright by Beamworks LED light from ebay. It seems like it would be less than low light which is what I'm looking for so I don't have to add co2. I'm worried it might be too blue though. I just need something to light up the darker edges of the tank. Thoughts?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In the summer it's hard. I have to keep rotating bottles filled with ice and I use a fan. I'm thinking of getting a chiller next summer. In the winter it stays at 69 degrees.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update (a not very happy one):

GRRRRR, I'm sooo fed up with this tank:mad:

DON'T buy the Odyssea!! It's crap (as most people say)!!! Mine burned up. It was only on for 8 hours a day on a timer and is only 6 months old! Now I have to spend money that I don't have on a new light. It won't be here for at least a week and I'll probably loose half my plants :icon_cry: My new Fluval canister filter's motor burned up too, because somehow it stopped pulling water through??? WTH??? To top all that off one of my pea puffers lost his battle with IPS :icon_frow. At least I learned not to cheap out on lights.

Sorry for the rant but this week has been horrible...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just went out and bought a bunch of clip on lamps with cfls for a quick fix. They're a major eye sore. Can anyone suggest a light for this tank? I thought about getting a finnex of some sort but idk...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I ended up with a current sat+. I'm liking it so far and the different light options are cool. We'll see how the plants do with it.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Update (a not very happy one):

GRRRRR, I'm sooo fed up with this tank:mad:

DON'T buy the Odyssea!! It's crap (as most people say)!!! Mine burned up. It was only on for 8 hours a day on a timer and is only 6 months old! Now I have to spend money that I don't have on a new light. It won't be here for at least a week and I'll probably loose half my plants :icon_cry: My new Fluval canister filter's motor burned up too, because somehow it stopped pulling water through??? WTH??? To top all that off one of my pea puffers lost his battle with IPS :icon_frow. At least I learned not to cheap out on lights.

Sorry for the rant but this week has been horrible...

My bro had the t5ho ode for 4 years, its still being used to this day. I had them for 2 years before selling them, no problems at all. From back in the day they improved alot but I guess some units are not made as well. Same thing with the Sunsun filters, my bro had it for 4 years and I still have mine, its about 4 years old as well. No funny noise and it runs perfectly.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts