The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just acquired a 40 gallon breeder from my friend. Going to take down my 29gallon and do a lot with this new tank. I really don't think there is much of a need to post a picture considering it is just a glass box.....

But I plan on doing a few things DIY to save some money considering I'm still in high school.

I will be aiming for a medium-high light setup, with DIY CO2. I plan on getting the 36" Finnex Ray 2 LED light. I'm still trying to decide on if I should go with the Aquaclear 110 or the 70, but we will see what I can budget. Heater right now isn't too important, I'm not worried, there are a lot of good heaters that I've researched. As for substrate, I'm going to put a thin (~1") of Miracle Grow Organic (should I do soil or mix?) and then 2-3 inches of a sand. For the stand, I am going to make this one myself. The plan is to take 8 cinder blocks (16x8x6) and make two stacks, each 32 inches high. These are going to be my pillars, for lack of a better term. Then, under those is going to be a piece of plywood to distribute the weight more. Then I will make a sort of "case" for the blocks that will make the stand look like two I's: II
At the bottom of that pillars, there will be two attached boxes for storage on each side of the stand that will be about 6 inches tall, and between the pillars there will be another storage area. At the top, there will be two sheets of ply wood glued/screwed together, that will go out an inch on each side of the tank to look aesthetically pleasing. At each corner, there will be a wooden brace just for more strength.
What I've figured, is that most of the weight will be supported on the blocks and the wood is just there to keep them in line and not shifting, and to make it look nice. It might sound a little confusing, but it will be pretty simple once I start building it and posting pictures, and I think it will look pretty cool for me guessing it will take less than 50 bucks...

But back to the aquascaping portion. There will be a very large piece of driftwood either on the left third or right third, depending on which looks better. But the back is going to be painted black and for that reason, I'm going to position the light more towards the front of the tank so it is slightly darker in the back to make it feel more like the scape is fading off into the dark water. I need some more ideas on plants. As of now, I am taking the following plants from my current tank: VERY large and lots of C. Wendtii, small amazon swords, a lotus, some unidentified swords, and some small java fern which will go on the back of the driftwood in the lower light. I will also try to put some utricularia graminifolia in the clear areas that I have growing emerged right now. Fauna will be a striped Raphael catfish, a blue three spot gourami, 6 neon tetras, two zebra danios (all the fish from my current tank.) I will be considerably adding more to the tetra school, in the range of 15-20. I will also need some other suggestions for fish.

So atm, I need help/suggestions on these topics: fauna, more plants, substrate, and also how to get my UG to start growing well changing from emmersed to submerged.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have an Aquaclear110 on the end of a 75g and it puts a very nice current across a tank 48" long. I think it would be pretty overkill for a 40g.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I'd ditch the Raphael cat. As he gets big he will suck all your other fish into his bottomless pit of a belly one by one. He's also going to produce a lot of waste as he grows. They're not worth it in planted tanks, imo.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Im running 2 aquaclear 70s on my 40b. I have about 40 fish and its heavily planted. The current on the aquaclears 70s is more than enough for the tank. Sometimes to much for my background plants, and can be kind of annoying once they grow to the surface. Other than that my tank is always clear.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd ditch the Raphael cat. As he gets big he will suck all your other fish into his bottomless pit of a belly one by one. He's also going to produce a lot of waste as he grows. They're not worth it in planted tanks, imo.
I've had him for about 2 years and he isn't too bad, normally he just hides out and doesn't bother the other fish which are top and middle level dwellers (tetras, gourami)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts