The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does this book offer first-hand accounts of the described species (with details like behavior, etc.), or just list basic husbandry requirements? I've heard several people say it has the former but from excerpts I seen I don't get this impression. Does it have information I wouldn't be able to find online from basic profile sites like Seriously Fish?

·
Registered
275 Posts
One of the best kindle purchases I have made! Introduced me to new fish and provided a lot of very useful information. And yes it does include behavior as well as information of note. Some of the parameters listed in this book differ than seriously fishy and I've had greater success with using the former over the latter. As to actual hands on experience I googled the author Rachel O'Leary and came across her YouTube channel in which she offers tips and "species spotlights". You can tell from the book and her YouTube videos that she really takes it seriously. I soon after contacted her inquiring to purchase some things. She worked with me for about a month to make sure I had everything right on my end. Everythign ive ordered from her has been the best quality including the small school of Laubuka which has become one my favorites.

I would certainly recommend 101 Best Freshwater Nano Species to anyone interested in keeping nano aquariums or fish.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
That must be MsJinkzd. Ive bought fish from her. Didnt know she had a book out. She is knowledgeable for sure and sells good stock.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Check out her website. I think there's pictures of her fish room in there somewhere. If she hasn't had experience with all 101, I'd bet it's darn close. She's put much more time into her YT channel lately, but that's not stated negatively here.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One of the best kindle purchases I have made! Introduced me to new fish and provided a lot of very useful information. And yes it does include behavior as well as information of note. Some of the parameters listed in this book differ than seriously fishy and I've had greater success with using the former over the latter. As to actual hands on experience I googled the author Rachel O'Leary and came across her YouTube channel in which she offers tips and "species spotlights". You can tell from the book and her YouTube videos that she really takes it seriously. I soon after contacted her inquiring to purchase some things. She worked with me for about a month to make sure I had everything right on my end. Everythign ive ordered from her has been the best quality including the small school of Laubuka which has become one my favorites.

I would certainly recommend 101 Best Freshwater Nano Species to anyone interested in keeping nano aquariums or fish.
I'm certainly familiar with Rachel - I actually have some livestock from her coming in tomorrow! I'm sure she has personal experience with all the species listed, but am wondering to what extent this is conveyed in the book. Keep in mind I've been in this hobby for some time now so have general familiarity with a lot of fish, but am looking for the kind of first-hand information only experience can bring rather than general information on profile sites like Seriously Fish.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
OK, I understand your question better. And your concern is why I haven't bought a "book" in many years. I can only suggest you google the book and rummage through a review or two. OR since you're a customer I would bet she'd be glad to answer your question / concerns directly.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Im sure because of the number of species covered their editor would only allow so much information to be included.
just for reference here is a behavior and care except for the scarlet goby:
"BEHAVIOR & CARE: In most cases, it is best to keep these fish in a species tank with an equal number of males and females. Setup should include many sizes of small rocks with areas of stacked structure. Sturdy rhizome plants can be added for interest, but they are not necessary for this species. High oxygen and exceptionally clear water is required, though directional flow is not very important. Adult males tend to be significantly brighter in color, having extended, unpaired fins with a bright bluish tint to the edges. While a species tank is recommended, they could also be kept with fishes that inhabit the top portion of the water column, like Tanichthys or Microdevario species. Small invertebrates and fishes should be avoided because of the strong predatory tendencies of this fish." from "The 101 Best Freshwater Nano Species: How to Choose & Keep Hardy, Brilliant, Fascinating Nano Fishes, Plants & Invertebrates (Adventurous Aquarist GuideTM)" by Mark Denaro, Rachel O'Leary

Again, I've also compared the recommended water parameters in this guide with various online sites offering fish profiles and have found they differ. Having had greater success with the former over the latter I can only imagine this comes from her experience.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.