1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Current FTS 1/31/12 LEDs added

FTS 1/11/12

FTS 1/4/12 - removed actinics

FTS 1/2/12 - snowday rescape!

FTS 11/6/11

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Got some shrimps today!! WOoohooOO! Some CRS and firereds from Alaizabelle.

I put them in a 10 gallon tank that has been cycling for a couple weeks.

Using a HOB filter stuffed with polyfil,

odyssea 20" 4 bulb fixture (2 x 10000K and 2 x actinics) that was used on a retired reef tank. I figured I will give it a try, the blue actinics took awhile to get used to.

Potting soil, capped with sand blasting sand.

Plants:
Hygro polysperma
Hygro difformis
Hygro angustifolia
Rotala rotundifolia
limno sessiflora
Blyxa Japonica
Brazilian pennywort
Fissidens Fontanus
Subwassertang (came with the shrimp)

Not happy with the scape yet, it is still a work in progress.

But the shrimp are already showing great coloring. Here are a ton of pics I just took.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Great looking tank. The scape looks familiar, but it might just be deja vu. One of the few tanks that I think it looks good with white sand.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! It is a fairly generic looking scape at the moment (IMO) so it is no surprise it looks familar :)

I need to spice it up a little to make it unique. I think I may take out the wood on the right and replace it with a different piece.

I have always been a fan of white sand although I must admit it is all I know since I have never used anything else. It is a pain to keep clean but I tend to think it makes for a more natural looking tank.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Your tank looks great! Love the sand, love the shrimp! Makes me want to paint my ghost shrimp, lol. Hey, what plant is that down front, right side?

(I'm new, don't know my plants at all)

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha, time to get out the tiny paintbrushes, you should try for polkadots!

That plant is Brazilian Pennywort, it grows quite quickly. It is the 1st time I have tried it out and I like how it is growing, it sends out lots of offshoots, pretty neat plant.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just spent the last half hour trying to get some good pics of the shrimp.

ISO - 200
f-stop - 2.8
shutter speed - 1/100

Still kinda grainy but I think this is as good as it gets with this camera (Canon Powershot A710 IS)

If anyone has any other tips on getting better quality pics (other than getting a better camera) let me know :)

I discovered I have leaches in the substrate:eek5:

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was just sucking out some snails and look what I found!

Looks like I have a momma! That was quick :)
I am assuming that she is berried...

The shrimp are doing well. They seem to be quite happy picking away at the fissidens and the wood. As you can see I also have a MAJOR snail infestation. I have been putting in a zucchini every night and pulling it out in the morning completely covered in the little buggers. But the numbers a slowly dwindling.

Here is an FTS...not much change, the plants are growing very slow, no CO2 and no dosing. I still want to change out the piece of wood on the right, I would love to have a big rock pile or something.

·
Canon pimp #002
4,600 Posts
The pictures are great, man! Congrats on the berry as well. I too have a horde of snails in my shrimp tank, ha! I actually leave most of the big ones though, every now and then I net out the little ones.

I think I have some pictures that show my snails in my OEBT journal. :hihi

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I was just checking out the berried shrimp, She looked fine, picking away at the wood but the underside of her belly was spasming (this is the only way I can describe it...maybe rippling?), anyways is this normal?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have those darn leeches too. Mine look just like yours. The only thing I think they have killed are my mystery snails. Although it is possible that the mystery snails died for other reasons and the leeches were just feasting on their dead bodies. Yuk!

Your tank and shrimp look great.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the replies, I figured it was something normal, it was just a little unsettling to see at first. I had visions of the chestbusters from Aliens when I saw her abdomen pulsing like like that.

jweis, yeah the leaches are a little gross, but I think I have actually gotten used to them. I think (and someone please correct me if I am wrong) that they are pretty harmless. They are too slow to attach to fish or shrimp I would imagine.

I am planning on doing a trim and doing a bit of a reorganization tomorrow. I will post the pics. It is kind of nice having a low maintenance tank, the stems are growing at a nice slow and steady pace, not like my 75 gallon tank.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am wondering if I have too much flow for the shrimp right now.

I have a marineland penguin 200 (rated at 200 GPH) in my 10 gallon tank. It is stuffed with polyfil. The water is hitting the front of the tank pretty hard and then spreading down and out. For the most part the plants are gently blowing except directly in front. Is this too much flow?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I took out the big piece of the wood on the right and added in a burl. I trimmed a bunch of anubias from the 75G tank and superglued them to the new piece, along with some fissidens and weeping moss.

Here is an FTS of the new arrangement, abit busy but i think the shrimps are going to be quite happy.

I hope I didn't stress the shrimp out to much with all the commotion.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So I noticed today that all the eggs are gone from the females belly. She is still quite extended and it looked like she was still trying to fan them. Did she abort? Is that even possible?

I also noticed a CRS and a fire-red fighting each other over a choice piece of algae wafer. Their little limbs were flailing at each other frantically, pretty amusing to watch.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts