The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...has been popped :hihi: (sorry couldn't resist the innuendo)

Finally got around to setting up my first "scaped" planted tank a few weeks ago. Here's what I've got so far.

20g long
DIY CO2 fed through Hagen Elite mini powerhead
Eco Complete
55w Coralife

Plant Rectangle Botany Pet supply Organism

Plant Pet supply Houseplant Aquatic plant Grass

Plant Plant community Terrestrial plant Vegetation Organism

Only fauna in the tank are 4 otos and a single Amano shrimp. I'm currently plagued with hair/thread algae and its driving me mad! Any ideas?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks good so far. Any plans to add more fish or inverts? Also, what type of moss is that on your driftwood?
Thanks! Its peacock moss. As for any additions...I'm definetly going to add some shrimp, most likely RCS, and a bunch of small cardinals. I'm hoping to add a natural solution to my algae issue. I thought the amano would do the trick but he doesn't seem interested in the least.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I gotta say, when I read "Cherry" in your title... it might have been the one time my mind didn't go right to something sexual, since I thought you were going to be talking about shrimp~

Looks great, of course. I hope my first actual scape will have a chance of looking that good right off the bat.

I had a hair algae problem until I got my Siamese Algae Eater. I'm sure I won't be the only one here toting the SAE banner. Odd thing is, though... I got two of them at the same time. One ate and ate and ate until he had a horribly huge belly (and then proceeded to even out, having eaten all the hair my tank could make) and the other one never bothered with the stuff. Now the big one is 3.5 inches while the other looks like he's around the 1.5" I bought him at.
Anyway, what I mean to say is when they work, they WORK, but you might get a dud? Also, it's hard to make sure it's the right fish. There are loads of lookalikes. I did research before buying.
On the downside, the big SAE ate all the leafy bits off of my java moss, leaving tiny green stems. Not sure how it would feel about peacock.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I had some hair/thread algae issues for the longest time on my xmas moss. The advice most given was to get rid of the portions of plants which always seem to be the emanating source of said algae and to reduce my photoperiod to no more than 8 hours daily. Since I've gotten rid of the xmas moss and reduced my lighting I'm algae free!!! You might try reducing your photoperiod first, then start removing plants if the lighting change doesn't help.

Good luck!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had some hair/thread algae issues for the longest time on my xmas moss. The advice most given was to get rid of the portions of plants which always seem to be the emanating source of said algae and to reduce my photoperiod to no more than 8 hours daily. Since I've gotten rid of the xmas moss and reduced my lighting I'm algae free!!! You might try reducing your photoperiod first, then start removing plants if the lighting change doesn't help.

Good luck!
Sensible approach, but I'm not very interested in REMOVING plant mass from the tank. I will look into SAEs to remedy the problem this week.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have one SAE in my 26gallon and he seems to do alright. and they do a good job of cleaning the plants. your tank is looking good.

·
Registered
59 Posts
They will be temporary. I'm planning on picking up a trio and putting them to work immediately. I'll probably 'loan' them to a friend once the work is done!
That's probably a great idea. I would gladly lend mine to a friend if they needed it too. I really hope they don't munch your moss the way they took care of my java, though.
I also hope they won't be too territorial once you add them. In reality, I think you might find that just one will do everything you'd like?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts