The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Round one: 2-24 60 gal hex vs Tundragirl
Rinsing 3 bags of regular flourite. What a PITA :icon_twis that stuff is seriously messy Took 6+ hours just to rinse the sediment out of the rocks ugh. Then as soon as I fill the aquarium with water- I can't even see through the glass. ugh.

Wait two days for the sediment to settle then vac out the dust off the top of the gravel. Fill back up. Add some fish (5 glowlight tetras & 3 black neons) and toss in a few potted plants till the rest come in the mail.

Day four Add 6 angels 2 hours ;later 1 dies :icon_frow shipping stress as it didn't look so good when he got here.

Day five: Plants are here!!!!!! I should have put on my swimming suit:hihi: :hihi:. tank 28" & arm 25' YOU DO THE MATH!!
Soooo...
me - my grill tongs and hamburger flipper planted the tank today.:hihi: :hihi:
My husband is going to have a fit it the kids tell him I used his grill utensils in my aquarium.:biggrin: In my book whatever works.

I currently have 5 fluorescent lights sitting on top the tank until the new one arrives. The ghetto look:wink:

Pic's to come maybe tomorrow:icon_lol:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Go get your husband the craftsman grill "tool" pack. All will be better.....forever. Unless of course you use them on a tank, then your in trouble!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hope you'll put lots and lots of plants in there.all at the same time.how about co2?
DIY co2 for now -almost have enough to purchase pressurised. BTW Rex can you customize your set- ups to a paintball tank?:biggrin:

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update

Here are the promised pics of O Deep 1

I'll post more when I have time:biggrin:

·
Registered
267 Posts
don't you think you should have let your tank cycle before adding all of those angels. we all want to get our tanks up and running and stocked asap. but angels are not what you want to cycle your tank with. hopefully they will survive and live long happy lives

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
don't you think you should have let your tank cycle before adding all of those angels. we all want to get our tanks up and running and stocked asap. but angels are not what you want to cycle your tank with. hopefully they will survive and live long happy lives
*SIGH* PLEASE READ REX'S GUIDE. www.rexgrigg.com

tundra, looks great. You definitely need some planter tools of your own with a tank like that. Also, the imageshack wouldn't let me see a bigger photo...maybe it's firefox? Nice work.

What kind of light are you getting?

·
Registered
842 Posts
Did you take some extablished filter media out of your other tanks to get your cycled jump started?

You can just pull the filter media from the other tanks and give it a good rinse in the new tank... it will make a mess for a little while, but it will settle quickly and seed the tank so you don't end up with an amonia spike

·
Registered
267 Posts
*SIGH* PLEASE READ REX'S GUIDE. www.rexgrigg.com
plants help with the cycle. but they don't eliminate it buy any means. seeding the tank with media from an established tank helps speed up the process. but you will still have ammonia and then nitrite and the more fish you put in the higher the levels will be regardless of how many plants you have. I personally would only add a few hardy fish until my tank was cycled.

tundra, the tank is beautiful, I'm not trying to be a party pooper. I just know that angels can be sensitive, I personally killed quite a few angels in my younger days.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I used 2 filters from other established tanks as well as the new filter and some gravel from established tanks.
I also have been checking the ammonia, nitrate & nitrite twice a day to ensure that any ammonia spikes do not result in death. so far everything is good. I will be doing a water change tomorrow and then starting the fertilizer process. As soon as I figure out how much to put in.
I am very familiar to rex's Guide as I refer to it weekly-:biggrin:

I ordered a Jebo odeyssa 130 watts should be here on Monday- I am looking forward to getting rid of all those fluorescents. One of which is taped onto another to keep it from falling off:hihi:
I definitely need tools:help: grill utensils just don't cut it.:hihi:

I am looking at regulators right now, but I am hesitant to order one until I find a place to get CO2 tanks filled. There aren't any fire ext.,welding or home beer making place near by. I have been trying to get a hold of a soda dist. to see if they do it. Sigh If I can't find one I guess I'll have to look farther out.:icon_frow

1 - 12 of 12 Posts