The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
Hello,

I bought a couple aquariums on Facebook and they came with this Texas Holey rock. I’ve never seen it before, looks pretty cool other than being bright white.
My question, is it safe to use? Or does it raise pH or change any other parameters?
TIA!

And:
Texas holey rock, my understanding, is a limestone. I've had limestone (not holey rock) in my tanks for two years. It raises the tap PH from 7.6 to 8.2/8.3, no higher. If your tap is 8.2 with buffering capacities, I doubt there will be much effect on your tank water.

Limestone raising PH is not some made up fable or myth. It's a fact and it doesn't take a whole lot of rock to do it. I have maybe 40 or 50 lbs in a 150 gallons of water and I can guarantee the PH is 8.2/8.3 without checking it. I would bet it would take far less stone if it was placed in your filters.

But, like I said, if your pH is already around 8.2, limestone will have little to no effect on the pH. Chemically impossible

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.