The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new set up is coming along nicely and I'm still up in the air about fish. I want to stick with a south American community. Rams, Cory cats and a ton of tetras. Thinking 3 different kinds at least and about 40 total. Rummynose and red/blue Colombian are my two top choices. For the third maybe Buenos Aries but I've read they're plant eaters. Or red mirror tetras. Any recs on the 3 you'd chose or experience with B.A. tetras?

Sent from my NX008HD8G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
280 Posts
Not sure but I've heard Columbians enjoy a nice salad from time to time, but I've never kept them myself. Maybe someone that has can chime in.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do like red eyes and I thin their color will look very good against my dark background. Digging deeper on Colombians I'm not going to get them. The aggression towards each other and size have detoured me from them.

·
Registered
588 Posts
In mine I've got black and white skirts, neon, glolight, albino glolight, black neon and bleeding hearts. I like the color variation it gives and they all school differently, though the skirts will all school together.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like the idea of several different tetras. I'll probably start with 8-10 of 2 different species. Then decide on going maybe 20 of each of the 2 or maybe 8-10 for 4 or 5 tetras. Also thinking a 10 or so group of Cory cats and a pair of Rams.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I like the idea of several different tetras. I'll probably start with 8-10 of 2 different species. Then decide on going maybe 20 of each of the 2 or maybe 8-10 for 4 or 5 tetras. Also thinking a 10 or so group of Cory cats and a pair of Rams.

That was pretty much what I did, and is still the setup I have now just added bolivian rams to the mix. And have had one opaline Gourami in there along with albino Cory, emerald Cory, and peppered Cory. Also have bristle nose pleco, 3 Amano shrimp, 3 nerite snails and assassin snails. It is by far the tank I have to put least effort into, everyone works together in it and my levels are generally always perfect. This is the tank I pulled the crypts and swords out of that I sent you. Also have Java, cpl fern variety, tiger Lotus, couple different anubais, and some amazing plant varieties I bought on here from a few people. It started as straight Amazon and has kind of morphed into its own thing over time.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was thinking only south american non aggressive but not sure I'm going to hold on the SA part. Plants are already from all over so why not?

·
Registered
417 Posts
I'd make sure that the tetras you get occupy different areas of the aquarium. Columbians are great, and they get decent size (3" give or take). My favorites are Diamond tetras (Used to have 60 in my 125, but 6 years later, I'm down to 4). Bleeding hearts are a nice medium size and will occupy the lower portions of the tank, maybe some Rummy nose for the mid/lower and have you thought about hatchets? Bolivians get fair size, almost twice the size of German blues, or I'd look into maybe Kribensis (west africa) and maybe do an african tetra like the red eye instead of rummy nose.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rummy and bleeding hearts are probably the two I'll start with. Maybe Black skirts but not sure. Something to contrast the different shape and sizes. Also the area they will occupy like you said. The local rams are GBRs and I do prefer their color. Kribs are really cool. Never owned the before but plenty of Africans and Paired SA. I do have to dig deeper on them though. I don't know too much about them.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Rummy and bleeding hearts are probably the two I'll start with. Maybe Black skirts but not sure. Something to contrast the different shape and sizes. Also the area they will occupy like you said. The local rams are GBRs and I do prefer their color. Kribs are really cool. Never owned the before but plenty of Africans and Paired SA. I do have to dig deeper on them though. I don't know too much about them.

Rummies and Bleeding Hearts are a good choice to begin with.
Lemons are another real nice shoaling tetra.
You mentioned you eventually wanted a total of around 40, of 3 different strains, along with some GBR's and Cories.
You had also originally mentioned Buenos Aries Tetras, which I understand can grow quite large at maturity. Suggest you might want to do a little research on adult sizes of any other Tetras you choose, since you may end up pushing the bio-load a touch with the numbers you want to keep in your tank when they mature.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll be sticking with smaller ones most likely. 40 was a ambitious ceiling. Buenos aries and Columbians look like they'll get larger then my idea size. I'm now more thinking neon sized mostly with one larger species. Maybe Rummies, Hearts and something smaller but not so timid. Glowlights, Black neons, cards, neons and black skirts all seem to have similar demeanor and personalities.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The tank is pretty heavily planted already with a lot of room for growth upwards. I have 2 HOBs on it. One rated for a 75 gallon and one rated for a 50 gallon. As well as an airstone during the day.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'm really liking my Loreto tetras. They're small and streamlined, about the size of a black neon. They school fairly well and are fast swimmers so would they'd appreciate the swim space of a 60 gallon.
I'll try and get a picture.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
For ultimate color, i would recommend Serpae Tetras. They can get a bit nippy, but in a school of 10+, they will be fine and it looks like the rest of your fish can definitely hold their own.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts