The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a stupid question, but here goes. I currently have 5 Tetra Whisper 40 air pumps on my 5 tanks. No problems, quiet. My question is: What is the difference between the UL Listed and NON UL with the exception of the actual listing? Are they constructed the same, same components? I normally buy the UL Listed version, but I accidentally bought one NON UL. Seems strange that they sell 2 different versions of the exact same product. Is it as simple as North American Packaging?

·
snails are your friend
3,021 Posts
Underwriter's Laboratory tests household products for safe use. I was under the impression that most anything with an electrical plug was required to meet certain safety minimums to go to market, but apparently not. I would be hesitant to purchase something for a few dollars less that might cause an electrical or fire hazard, personally. It's probably an extreme long shot that your house will catch fire or anything serious, but the non UL version would not be on my radar if there was an alternative product even remotely of similar price. I agree and also find it odd that they market these two identical products.

·
Registered
12,528 Posts
Underwriter's Laboratory tests household products for safe use. I was under the impression that most anything with an electrical plug was required to meet certain safety minimums to go to market, but apparently not. I would be hesitant to purchase something for a few dollars less that might cause an electrical or fire hazard, personally. It's probably an extreme long shot that your house will catch fire or anything serious, but the non UL version would not be on my radar if there was an alternative product even remotely of similar price. I agree and also find it odd that they market these two identical products.

Except for eek bay I don't really see it cheaper in the US.
https://www.freshmarine.com/ce-pet-046798778530.html
Funny..
Note: This product is restricted to MD.

Suppose it's for overseas sales not US..
Like "grey market" goods.

Wouldn't go by box color either..
https://www.amazon.com/Tetra-Whisper-Easy-Aquariums-Non-UL/dp/B0009YF4FI

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just received a reply from Tetra: "The non-UL model has a shorter cord and is not UL certified to provide a less expensive option for our consumers and OEM companies. The cord is 5 foot vs. 6 foot."

Bump:
Except for eek bay I don't really see it cheaper in the US. Suppose it's for overseas sales not US..
Like "grey market" goods.
Amazon has both listed, NON-UL $10.23 shipped now & UL $10.69 shipped but not in stock until December. Price difference doesn't make any sense.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts