The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of planning my 55 gallon. While I've posted requests for suggestions in another subsection of the forum, I'm not getting much in the way of responses, so I thought I'd stick it here . . .

Basically I've thus far settled on expanding my current school of Diamonds. They will be the predominant shoal in my new tank. To them, I'm also adding a few Bleeding Hearts and Emperor Tetra.

Although I've kept several species of Tetra over the years--usually with great success--I'm looking for something a bit different, yet attainable. I'm calling this a "Fancy Tetra" tank, mostly because the hobbyists I know rarely keep the species mentioned above and because these really are some of the more showey tetra species--in relation to finnage, etc.

If anyone's got a tetra species that they're just crazy over, I'd love o hear about them. (Currently I also keep Lemons and Black Phantoms, but they will not be added to this new tank, once it is set up, cycled and ready).

Any suggestions would be welcome.
Kev.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I'll be getting some tetras out of Colombia tonight or tomorrow morning along with a bunch of plecos. I'll let you know how they look and might even find time to take a pic or two.

·
Registered
712 Posts
how about some red-eyed emperors, aka rainbow tetra (Nematobrycon lacortei) instead of your standard emperors (Nematobrycon palmeri)? and if you find a place that stocks some, let me know!! :) whee!
-snafu

·
Registered
569 Posts
This is the tetra I got in from Colombia - Nematobrycon lacortei

and a link I found http://darwin.zoology.gla.ac.uk/~rpage/ispecies/?q=Nematobrycon+lacortei&submit=Go

Pretty nice looking fish. I would say most of them are about the size of an adult cardinal tetra but there are a few in the batch that are well over 2 inches and the black horizontal stripe that goes through the tail makes this fish look awesome. I can hardly wait to toss a few dozen in my planted 125 with the altums.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Oooh! I second the Rainbow Tetra (Nematobrycon lacortei). I have a small shoal of emperors (will be adding more) and one of the rainbows/redeyes was mixed in. I don't believe the LFS noticed the difference. I would love to find some more of them, but so far, nothing. Beautiful animal. Great fins.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey, what a terrific response!

Thanks for all of them. In fact, you've each introduced me to some species I wasn't aware of . . .

I'm giving some very thorough consideration to the Red lines--which are stunning and nice alternative on standard glo-lights and neons.

The Black Emperor has always been a fav, but I love my standards for that eye color . . . sort of opposition to my Diamonds. I will look into all the other emporer species available, as I could be happy with more than one of those schools in the tank.

The Columbian Tetra I've always seen and known to be fin nippers. The one's they sell around here always have tank mates that are nipped bare--the source of existing Bleeding Hearts was a tank full of the Columbians. I had to rescue them.

Hydolicus genus is full of a lot of sharp-toothed, fairly carnivorous (and rather large) fish, so I'm not even looking there.

Coffee Beans look a little too much like a Bleeding Heart with a black shoulder stripe, so I'm going to pass those by.

Thanks a lot. Definitely going to explore my options a little in the coming weeks. I'll have plenty of time to make a decision as the tank is put up, planted, cycled/adjusted and so on.

I really appreciate all the recommendations.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.