The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again,
I set up my 3 gallon tank a few days ago, I added plants and rocks from my other tanks as well as seeded filter media. About 4 days ago I added TSS, upon taking readings I found that my ammonia was 0 ppm, nitrite 0ppm and nitrate 5ppm. Now TSS also says don't take readings the first week as they could be false. So my question for you is, is my tank actually cycled already or are these just false readings? I'd like to know for certain before i introduce my new fish .
Thanks! -Heidi
Aquarium decor Freshwater aquarium Pet supply Fish supply Wood stain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to take readings the first few days after dosing TSS.

Have you been adding any ammonia?
Pretty much if you dose ammonia, and it turns to nitrite, then nitrates in a timely manner, then the tank is cycled.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to take readings the first few days after dosing TSS.

Have you been adding any ammonia?

Pretty much if you dose ammonia, and it turns to nitrite, then nitrates in a timely manner, then the tank is cycled.

I don't quite understand it either, just what I've been reading has mentioned the "no testing period".

I have a small school of minnows that I've been feeding once a day and some cherry shrimp.
Thanks that's what I thought I just wanted to be certain! I'm fairly new to the hobby!

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Just so you know, minnows like colder water. Cherry shrimp can do well in cooler water as well. Anywhere between 68-72*F would be good.
But schooling fish are social and should be in a minimum group size of 6 (though a 3 gallon water volume isn't enough to accommodate 6 minnows). Plus minnows are pretty active fish and a 3 gallon is much too small for the length of space they would like to swim in. Just letting you know.

Keep track of the cycle though just to make sure. Nitrates should be increasing.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just so you know, minnows like colder water. Cherry shrimp can do well in cooler water as well. Anywhere between 68-72*F would be good.

But schooling fish are social and should be in a minimum group size of 6 (though a 3 gallon water volume isn't enough to accommodate 6 minnows). Plus minnows are pretty active fish and a 3 gallon is much too small for the length of space they would like to swim in. Just letting you know.

Keep track of the cycle though just to make sure. Nitrates should be increasing.

I guess minnow was probably not the right word, it's just what we call them around here. They're actually Florida mosquito fish I think. Most of them are juveniles. Either way I don't plan on keeping them, they were used to cycle the tank for my betta fish that is coming. I'm throwing them back out in the pond next week lol. Thank you though for the advice .

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ahh, a Gambusia? (looks similar to a guppy, but meaner)

Yes!! They are such jerks lol, I kicked the biggest one out to the pond because it was picking on everyone forcing them behind the rocks even the cherry shrimp. As soon as that one was gone the next biggest took its place as bully . I'm ready for my lone betta fish lol.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Directions also say to stock the tank after dosing. With your seeded media and TSS you have to supply ammonia of some sort or your bacteria will die.

I used TSS in my new 50 gallon, dosed and threw in 6 angels and a month later everyone is still kicking!

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
A member posted a video in response to a thread awhile back of a school of fish making a quick snack of a good sized frog and I'm trying to remember if the fish in the video were gambusia. Anyone remember the thread?

·
Registered
84 Posts
A member posted a video in response to a thread awhile back of a school of fish making a quick snack of a good sized frog and I'm trying to remember if the fish in the video were gambusia. Anyone remember the thread?

I'll pass amphibian lover here lol.

Directions also say to stock the tank after dosing. With your seeded media and TSS you have to supply ammonia of some sort or your bacteria will die.

I used TSS in my new 50 gallon, dosed and threw in 6 angels and a month later everyone is still kicking!

Thanks for the heads up , I introduced a school of mosquito fish and some cherry shrimp when I put in the TSS.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.