Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Glowlight

Votes: 4 28.6%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 46g bowfront that I 've just switch out the old gravel with eco complete and re-plant. It is planted really densely. I already have a female angel, four boesemani rainbows and one red rainbow (the rest of his group died :icon_sad:). When my tank finish with the mini-cycle, I want to add one or two schools of tetra to the tank. If I chose the two schools of tetra, I was thinking about 10-15 Black Neon Tetra and 10-15 Glowlight Tetra or replacing the Black Neon Tetra with 10-15 Lemon Tetra. OR I can just go with one 25-30 Glowlight Tetra. Will the tetras I listed be compatible with my 3 in female angel?

·
Registered
521 Posts
I would lean toward 1 big school of Black Neons. I think they look beefy and wouldn't be food for your Angels. BUt its up to you any combo would look nice. I just switched up to a school of 15 Cardinal tetra(vs 5 Serpae and 6 Cardinals) in my 36 Gal. and think that its much more cohesive with one school and some Angels.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So Glowlight tetra is a no go? I was thinking about 15 Black Neon and 15 Lemon. Is that over stocking? Aqadvisor told me that it was okay. What other type of tetra do you guys recommend to go with angel? I would prefer some "red" tetra because my tank is lacking red.

·
Planted Tank Nation
889 Posts
So Glowlight tetra is a no go? I was thinking about 15 Black Neon and 15 Lemon. Is that over stocking? Aqadvisor told me that it was okay. What other type of tetra do you guys recommend to go with angel? I would prefer some "red" tetra because my tank is lacking red.
How about 15 black neon and 15 rummynose tetra? They would compliment each other well with the black and red. I plan on doing a 38 gallon with my rummynose then adding black neons later. If you want a hardier red tetra than rummynose you should also consider bloodfin tetra. Vibrant red and great schoolers!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
125 gallon tank + 100 neon tetras + 3 pair angelfish= not a good idea, I tried it.

3 months later I had about 15 neon tetras left.

The bigger the tetra the better with angelfish. My Neon tetras were about 1.5".

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How about 15 black neon and 15 rummynose tetra? They would compliment each other well with the black and red. I plan on doing a 38 gallon with my rummynose then adding black neons later. If you want a hardier red tetra than rummynose you should also consider bloodfin tetra. Vibrant red and great schoolers!
Today, I went to Petco and found out that they just staring to carry rummynose tetra. I asked the manager if he could order aboutt 15 or 20 of them for me and he said yes, but only on Friday. So i think i will go with 15 black neon and 15 rummynose tetra. I have never kept rummynose before. Are they that difficult to care for?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Glowlights and black neons get too big for most angels, and they occupy different areas of the tank, and they are different colors. Perfect combo.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
i have a school of 15 columbian tetra and 6 angels, a hand full of gups, and 2 hill stream loaches in my 55. yes its a tad crowded but they all get along and have for the last year even egg eggs from the angels

·
Registered
466 Posts
It's not in your list but I'd vote Rummy Nose. I'll second what was said about Neons, it took like a year but my angels picked them all off eventually. I'd consider the size of the ones you're considering compared to Neons to get an idea of whether they'll be eaten.

·
Planted Tank Nation
889 Posts
Today, I went to Petco and found out that they just staring to carry rummynose tetra. I asked the manager if he could order aboutt 15 or 20 of them for me and he said yes, but only on Friday. So i think i will go with 15 black neon and 15 rummynose tetra. I have never kept rummynose before. Are they that difficult to care for?
Rummynose are not too hard to care for, just make sure you have good mixture of cover and open space, and good water parameters. Stay consistent with water changes and have good filtration(canister is preferred). If you think you do these things then you are fine.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just replace my old gravel with Eco complete and re-scape the tank two weeks ago. The water has a white haze to it (cloudy). But i tested the water twice and 0.25 A, 0 Ni, 20 Na (the Na is high because i am EI dosing). the ammonia level just swing between 0 and 0.25 for the last two week. I haven't touch my Fluval canister 405 since a few months ago. So will the cloudyness clear up? I was thinking about adding my old rainbows back in next week.....so that the week after, i can catch the Petco's sale on Black Neon Tetra.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Do not add fish until your ammonia is 0, it will kill any fish you put in there. The cloudyness will eventually clear but the ammonia is the more important thing. Also it needs to stay 0 for a week or two, then you can add fish Slowly, not all at once

·
Registered
238 Posts
Go with a big school of black neons! I like them more than glowlights, but both will get big enough that the angel wont try to eat them; but, if you like the glowlights more than those are another good option.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.