The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll give you the old results and the new ones, after a 75% water change.

Yesterday:

PH = 7.6
High End PH = 8.2
Ammonia = 0.25 ppm
Nitrite = 5.0 ppm
Nitrate = Between 5.0 ppm and 10 ppm

Today:

PH = 7.6
High End PH = 8.0
Ammonia = 0.50 ppm
Nitrite = 5.0 ppm
Nitrate = 0 ppm

I guess that the cycle is now reset, because of the Nitrate level. I'm kind of bummed and confused.

I've never done very well in math or science (more of a teacher/artist with the former being my main profession and the latter being my side career/hobby of photography)

Pretty much what I'm saying is that everything is confusing to me and I don't want Jor to go belly up on me, but I have a fear that's what's going to happen. :icon_cry:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, I'll do that tomorrow after I get home from work.

Thanks for the advice meepitech!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Im just wondering if your tap has ammonia to it. Is sounds like you have a fish in this tank? Water changes decrease your nitrate levels. Once cycled, your tank will have zero ammonia and nitrate. Ammonia and nitrate are very posionous to our aquatic friends. What puzzles me taht your ammonia and nitrite didnt decrease with the large water change. Your cycle is not reset. It is still in mid stride.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Any plants in your tank? If so how dense are they? Heavily planted tank shows different characteristics.

For cycling unless there are some crazy high ppm, no need to water change. Your goal is cultivating bacteria at this point.

Also make sure NO3 test performed correctly to give meaningful reading.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for answering my questions, very appreciated.

Yes, there is one betta in my 2.5 tank. His name is Jor and he swims for Blood Worms. (Bumper sticker coming soon!)

I did do a 75 percent water change, but the filter remains untouched. I also have a piece of sponge in there to help out.

I do have one Java fern in there. At one point is was buried under gravel, but it was turning brown, so I trimmed it a bit, and have now tied it with a rubber band to the bridge ornament. I read that the roots do better without being covered and should wrap itself around the place, where it's tied.

The Java fern has four/five leaves on it. I might actually buy another one soon for him to hide in.

Also: I don't know if I mentioned it before, but I do have a bubbler in the tank. I don't know how much of a difference that makes, in any.
As for the cycle being in mid stride: glad to hear it, but it also scares the hell out of me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thats quite a larger waterchange. Ive never been able to get by with anything more than a 50%. What water conditioner are you using? Some leave a trace of ammonia but de-toxify it in the water

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Per Bettasafe (Tetra) web site this product does NOT lock up ammonia.

Provides complete and fast-acting water conditioning for the popular Betta fish (also called Siamese fighting fish). BettaSafe™ quickly neutralizes chlorine, chloramines, and heavy metals in tap water and adds a protective slime coating. The small container with built-in dropper is ideal for dosing the typical Betta bowl/ habitat. Seven drops treat one gallon.
I would highly recommend you switch to a better water conditioner, like Prime.

·
Registered
415 Posts
+1 get some prime. Have you checked your tap for ammonia? Does your test only go up to 5ppm nitrite? I dont understand how your ammonia increased after a 75% waterchange.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Test for everything. And make sure to test your source water... after running into similar issues a few months back i tested my tap water only to find that it contains 1.0ppm ammonia!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ammonia in my tap water has been the bane of my existence. I would test for ammonia and nitrAte in the tap water. That way, when ammonia and nitrite are 0 and you have more nitrate in the tank than the tap-water base level, you know you're cycled.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I tested my kitchen sink (main source) and the bathroom sink water source.

PH = 7.6 (both sources)

High End PH = 8.8 (both sources)

Ammonia = 0.50 ppm (both sources)

Nitrite and Nitrate are both 0 at both sources.

So, there we go.

Luckily, the past two water changes (50%) I've used "API PH Down" and "Tetra Ammonia Safe" and AQ Salt.

I hope these help out the situation I'm in. I'll test the Aquarium tomorrow night to see if this has helped at all.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I would say your cycle is pretty far along then if your nitrite is still showing 5ppm after a 75% waterchange. Besides using prime, cant tell you what to do about your tap having ammonia to it. Although you may want to get some distilled water and run a test for ammonia. If your test detects any ammonia, then your test needs replaced. I hope this is the case because I wouldnt want to be doing waterchanges with water that had ammonia to it. Maybe with prime it wont be too bad but thats just me.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm really glad that we are moving at the end of the month. I've been going through prime like crazy during these hot months due to evaporation! Can't wait to get into a better water supply for my fishes and my wallets sake! :D

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yea, if I have to go and get distilled water, then I'm going to have to get rid of this little experiment.

It's either tap water or nothing.

The test is brand new, bought two days ago.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts