The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm going to get some equipment soon and was wondering what would be best. I need to test the PH frequently so I can monitor it for my shrimps.

PH pen lots of options including one that offers EC and TDS also,
PH Monitor- Would have to mount the probe inline somewhere, not mcuh room left after my chiller went in.
PH controller- Could be nice to have but a timer works jsut as well.

I'm thinking a PH pen would be nice with a TDS Meter to monitor my RO water as need be.

Now if there were some good ways to monitor Nitrates and such via a probe.

Craig

·
Registered
316 Posts
The pen, or smaller testers with the TDS are pretty helpful. I'm planning on picking one up regardless of if I go fully automated with c02.

·
Super Moderator
12,058 Posts
PH controller- Could be nice to have but a timer works jsut as well.
How would a timer help you measure pH?

Now if there were some good ways to monitor Nitrates and such via a probe.
There are nitrate probes available, but they are not economical and usually beyond the price range for our hobby.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How would a timer help you measure pH?

There are nitrate probes available, but they are not economical and usually beyond the price range for our hobby.
Timer doesn't but a drop checker works as well. A controller only measures ph and not CO2 so adjusting the CO2 down via PH is only as good as guessing. a 1 point drop in ph is ~30ppm co2 given other variables.

I've seen several salt based nitrate probes but most won't work in freshwater.

I'm considering the Hanna PH/EC/TDS/Temp hand held. I mostly want the PH and TDS functions but temp at a glance for recording purposes would be cool. I would also get a full list of the calibration solutions to go with it also.

Craig

1 - 4 of 4 Posts