The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would you go about testing a test kit? I just took 2 readings from one of my tanks that is definitely off (says I have 8.0 ammonia). This doesn't make sense because the two readings have been a day apart, and I used a dose and a half of Ammo-Lock on the tank after the first reading. Also, how do you clean your test tubes after you test? I suspect that they might be contaminated.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Be sure to read the Ammo-Lock directions closely. With most common ammonia test kits you will get a false positive result. Unless you have a salicylate based test kit you will get the false positive result.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, ok, that makes so much more sense now. So how would I test for the true ammonia level? I've been using ammo-lock as the dechlorinator (going out to get Prime tomorrow).

·
Banned
5,009 Posts

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually use the API Master Kit which has the salicylate test, but the instruction manual says that it will still give a false positive reading.

"AMMO-LOCK does not remove ammonia, it simply converts toxic ammonia to a non-toxic form, Ammonia test kits will still test positive for ammonia, even though treating with AMMO-LOCK has made it non-toxic. The biological filter will then consume the non-toxic ammonia, converting it to nitrite and then to nitrate."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.