The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts
Looks like you have hard water, which is ok.

Your pH is rainbow color, which means the test is not really good for measuring pH.

Nitrite is high, meaning your tank is new, or hopelessly overstocked, or your fish are dead.

Nitrate is medium/high which is ok.

There is another possibility - that the all-in-one test kit isn't that good, and you might want to invest in some more precise liquid tests, at least for ammonia/nitrite if you are monitoring a new tank.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like you have hard water, which is ok.

Your pH is rainbow color, which means the test is not really good for measuring pH.

Nitrite is high, meaning your tank is new, or hopelessly overstocked, or your fish are dead.

Nitrate is medium/high which is ok.

There is another possibility - that the all-in-one test kit isn't that good, and you might want to invest in some more precise liquid tests, at least for ammonia/nitrite if you are monitoring a new tank.
Yes - this is a new tank (2.5 weeks old) and have added some fish in phases throughout. I had used some media from an established tank.

I have API Saltwater test kits (The Reefmaster's) which measure Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, Kh, and High Range PH - but they seemed to be way out of whack all together so I assumed they were meant/accurate for FW.

Budget was tight thus I invested the $12 for the test strips to get all in one shot.

·
Super Moderator
16,988 Posts
Don't add any additional livestock until you can get a more accurate test kit. Just to be safe.

Master Kits from API can be obtained online for as little as $15 on occasion. Google around. They'll give you a better idea of what your parameters actually are. Beyond that, you there are several threads here on the forum to help you accurately calibrate your liquid testing kits to get precise readings.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Budget was tight thus I invested the $12 for the test strips to get all in one shot.
I understand budgets, but this is a MUST have. Instead of buying fish that could end up dying, save that money and get a true kit.

There is another possibility - that the all-in-one test kit isn't that good, and you might want to invest in some more precise liquid tests
+1

Don't add any additional livestock until you can get a more accurate test kit. Just to be safe.
+1

There are other ways of saving money, this isnt one of them. I will always buy hellmans mayo and NO Generic, however for Ketchup and mustard I will cheap out on.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Test strips can give you a quick check, but are usually not considered that accurate.

Many LFS will test your water at minimal or no cost. Have them retest your water, and verify the test strip results.

You should be able to pick up one of those pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate test kits and a GH / KH test kit without spending too much money.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.