The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to start dosing ferts and looking for test kits other than Api. Been looking all over this forum for recommendations and haven't seen anything.

What test kits and brand does everyone recommend?

Using pps-pro fert

Thanks

Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
I have used a couple of Red Sea test kits and do not recommend them. I have used Jungle and Tetra dip sticks. As long as you are just comparing the results over time to see if something is higher or lower they are OK. I do not have a problem with accuracy of most of the tests on the dip sticks, but the KH test sometimes reads pretty weird. Dip sticks are fast, too.

If you want quality, Hatch and Salifert are top end.

There are probes for several things, and as long as you keep them calibrated they are better than the hobby level test kits.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I like the api kits, granted I haven't tried anything else... only gripe was the test tubes... a syringe and a couple 50 ml flasks fixed that... measure water with syringe, add water, add reagents, swirl, wait and read. Or for GH/kh add water, drop, swirl, drop, swirl, etc until the color changes, is WAY easier, now the worst part is shaping the bottles and that really is pretty simple

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Ammonia and Nitrite during cycling and in case of a problem with the nitrogen cycle bacteria.
Nitrate.
GH, KH and pH for mineral levels. If you want to adjust the pH you will need to know the KH.

Other fertilizers are optional:
Iron, Phosphorus, Calcium (make sure it is a fresh water test, salt water calcium tests won't work in fresh water)

If your water company adds varying levels of chlorine or chloramine, then a chlorine test can help you to know if you need to increase the dechlor dose. I use a strip for this.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im using my Rodi unit from my salt setup and luckily the tank has been up for over a year now. Just getting tank full of plants and wanting to play with ferts.

Thank you, I'll have to order a few tests but think most I have will work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.