The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to take a different approach to the TDS water change method. I want a heavily stocked tank and feed heavily for PO4 and NO3. I want to be able to test these parameters to see if I need additional dosing. I also know when you dose NO3 and PO4, your also dosing K. Therefore I want to monitor K to see if dosing outside of NO3 and PO4 are necessary. Also for the reason if my feeding and stocking keeps NO3 and PO4 at desirable levels, I assume i'll need to dose K. My goal is to have a water change free tank. I have a spare Dos pumps, I want to see if its feasible to create a "Triton" style approach to planted freshwater tanks. My goal is to never water change and dose the tank according to test results to create stability. Heck, if I can grow corals in the same manner, can't I grow plants using the same method? Water changes are hard on large tanks and unnecessary if you maintain parameters.

My ultimate question is... Where can I find quality test kits for my list in the title? I don't like API, they aren't very accurate and I cant find potassium test kits. I did some google searching and I'm not sure of the best freshwater test kits. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I want to take a different approach to the TDS water change method. I want a heavily stocked tank and feed heavily for PO4 and NO3. I want to be able to test these parameters to see if I need additional dosing. I also know when you dose NO3 and PO4, your also dosing K. Therefore I want to monitor K to see if dosing outside of NO3 and PO4 are necessary. Also for the reason if my feeding and stocking keeps NO3 and PO4 at desirable levels, I assume i'll need to dose K. My goal is to have a water change free tank. I have a spare Dos pumps, I want to see if its feasible to create a "Triton" style approach to planted freshwater tanks. My goal is to never water change and dose the tank according to test results to create stability. Heck, if I can grow corals in the same manner, can't I grow plants using the same method? Water changes are hard on large tanks and unnecessary if you maintain parameters.

My ultimate question is... Where can I find quality test kits for my list in the title? I don't like API, they aren't very accurate and I cant find potassium test kits. I did some google searching and I'm not sure of the best freshwater test kits. Any suggestions?
Hello @dukydaf ... welcome back

·
Registered
528 Posts
As far as I can tell all Nitrate test kits pretty much suck. I've tried a few different consumer grade brands and API is the best one even though it is quite imprecise (e.g. I have somewhere 10-30ppm of nitrates). Lamotte may make one that works but expect to spend $100 or so for it and reagents.

Hanna makes a light based "checker" device. I use them for both iron and phosphates. See the Hanna HC Phosphate Low Range checker. As far as I can tell this is thing is very accurate. They even make test samples for these testers so you can be assured they are accurate.

I have never seen a potassium test. Again, I'm sure Lamotte has one but expect to spend a bundle.

Unless you are someplace that water is extra expensive, why go to all this trouble?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.