The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is everyone using for test kits?I see everyone posting all these test results for CA and MG and so on and so forth but cant seem to fins test kits for freshwater for all these parameters. I have saltwater kits for all this but not sure that would ne accurate

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have an API water test kit which allows me to test my Amonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, and pH levels. You get 4 flat bottom, glass test tubes with a cap and the necessary additive liquids to test your water. You fill the test tube to the fill line with rank water, and follow the instructions in the included instruction pamphlet, for how many drops of which liquid in what order and how long to shake and then wait. You'll then compare the color of the water to a color gradient chart.

It's pretty good. My only issues it can be a little bit time consuming because they're not test strips. Also, when shaking the tubes, the lids tend to leak just a bit so I often times just wrap a hand towel or paper towel around the tube and press down on the lid with my thumb when shaking.

Other than that, it's a good and comprehensive test kit that will serve you well and long.

Oo, I almost forgot. Wash/rinse out the tubes as soon as you're done examining the water because one time I left them filled for some time (don't remember how long, but im sure over an hour) and one of the tubes stained a wee bit.

I dont really use the pH test portion since i have those paper pH test strips, but I'm considering buying an electronic handheld pH meter off of Amazon. It'll be a faster process and it'll give me a more accurate reading as opposed to comparing a glass tube of colored water to a color gradient and making a guesstimate. I really don't like vagueness.

Sent from my SM-A215U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes i have that kit also i was looking more for everything outside of that kit like CA MG and so on

·
Registered
286 Posts
Salifert has a test for Calcium. Once you know your calcium level you can figure out your Magnesium level without a test kit. I dont have the calculation off hand but you can find it. I use Salifert for nitrates, calcium, phosphate, KH, and potassium. Api for phosphate also. Hach for GH.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh ok i wasn't aware the salifert would work for freshwater but thats sure is convenient because i already have them!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts