The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a planted tank with many signs of boron deficiency, in particular, in my elodea species. In both my tanks, I have elodea with stems snapping at random points, and the growing tip on some stems is disintegrating and falling off! Now that I think about it, a milfoil stem I have stopped growing and the newest leaves died... In my 35 gallon tank, my tallest stem of Elodea canadensis has snapped today. That's how I figured it all out...
:eek:
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_nutrient.htm

What should I do? I think that my potamogeton alpinus' death was a warning sign: leaves fell off, new growth disintegrated, stem snapped... I ordered fertilizers, (CSM+B plantex with boron added, among other things) from aquariumfertilizer.com several days ago, it should be arriving soon.

In the meantime, what should I do?

Should I change a lot of water?

Should I keep the lights off most of the day? I have them on for 12 hours.

Is there any household remedies?

Could I be mistaken as to my deficeincy?

As an emergency measure, I can go to the LFS tomorrow and buy seachem root tabs.

I found through a quick search the contents of plantex:
e 7.0 %
Mn 2.0 %
Mg 1.5 %
Zn 0.4 %
Cu 0.1 %
Mo 0.05 %
B --- 0.5 %
Co --- 0.05 %
Mb --- 0.1 %
"+B means extra boron, I don't know how much.."

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
It would probably be helpful to everyone if you told a little more about your tank. How much light, CO2 - pressurized or DIY, what ferts if any you're dosing and how much.

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
There's one major nutrient left off of that list: carbon. What kind of CO2 do you have running on your tank, if anything at all?

Also, Elodea canadensis is a coldwater plant. It won't be real happy in anything above 75F, and the same goes for a lot of Potomogetons too. If your tank is too warm, that will cause the plants to melt very quickly.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess that makes sense about the warmth thing. I have it set at 24 degrees C, about 75 F. I have flame tetras so I can't keep it too cold. There is a final option, I could move the tetras to my sump for now and have no heater. It makes sense, my Egeria najas and Limnophila are growing like weeds,( brought ziplock bags of both of them twice since I started the tank in August) while the others are growing kind of slow (compared to the tropicals) But callitriche 'narrow leaf' and potamogeton perfoliatus are growing well.

As for other dosing, I add Nitrogen, Phospherous, Iron, Potassium, and I also have a mix that contains the previous listed, plus Mn and Zn.

As for carbon, I have none... I ordered the equipment necessary to inject CO2 a bit before the ferts. It should come right away... I have a 40 watt T12 light, 4 foot fixture, sits across the 20 inch tank. Now that I think about it, there is a lot of things that might be wrong, but according to sources, the symptoms of boron deficiency are all there.

My other tank is fishless at the moment, except for one white cloud, many copepods and lots and lots of non-biting midges in all stages of life. (it is well covered thankfully) It is about 38 gallons and has 2 24 watt T5s. The only plants are some small java fern, 4 or so stems of E. canadensis, and a few sprigs of willow moss. I guess it might debunk the heat theory, as this one is unheated.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got my CO2 diffusers in the mail. For the whole story, you can read about it in my POTAMOGETONS JOURNAL.

I hooked up my CO2. I also turned down the temperature to 22 degrees C, or about 71 F. I turned off the lights this afternoon after 8 hours rather than 12... and I am going to do a water change. If I have lights off too short every day, milfoil will form turions. This isn't too bad for the plant but it takes a long time to get it out of the dormancy. Also, the main stem usually dies.

Hopefully, I can keep my plants alive until boron arrives. AAAAHHHGG

If there's anything someone can suggest I do, that would be mucho bueno.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
The CMS has plenty of B in the water, it's very rare to see any B deficiency, I've yet to see any definite cases in aquariums for over a decade.
I saw one or two, but even they where suspect many years ago.

Egeria and Elodea both fragment when they have CO2 changes.
Same for Myrio's.

This way they disperse to a (hopefully) better habitat.

Might just take a little time for adaption, they should easily grow at the temps listed for all the species you have. Pondweeds included.

I've grown about 15 species of pondweeds and have about 500 plants growing now for tuber and winter bud production.
They are noxious weeds in irrigation canals here in CA.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OH so the CO2 changed. Thanks for the tip! I wonder what could have caused it? It probably came about when I moved 2 odessa barbs for hair algae eating (they didn't eat any) They hid a lot so I put them back after a few days. They are quite massive compared to the flame tetras, so they probably increased the CO2 for a few days. When they were removed from the system, possibly this caused the disturbance.
Is my theory correct? We'll have to see.

...But that odessa barb incident was after my Potamogeton Alpinus started dying... That might have been a different problem. I'm still a bit new to this... The potamogeton alpinus didn't seem to be trying to make a turion... If one randomly starts growing, I'll find out. I don't remember where the tip of it went... As for my 35, the myrio is not suffering at all, but the elodea canadensis broke down... Though, I have been neglecting the tank severely, as I am going to take it down soon...

TL-DR

1 - 8 of 8 Posts