The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a Lighting system that is for Compact Flourescents and can hold 3 of them. The only thing was that its for Terraniums. Is there any way I would be able to use this over my tank if I had a glass or something over the tank and then the lighting system? I will try to find a pic now.

·
Registered
517 Posts
it's a lighting fixture, if that's what you're looking for i don't see why you can't use it as long as you don't let it fall in. how efficient it would be is another question.

·
Registered
517 Posts
efficient is having less do more, not more do the same as less could do :)

do let us know how it turns out though. i actually have a turtle tank that could use an upgrade on lighting like this one. does the one you're getting come with 3 switches and cords?

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
efficient is having less do more, not more do the same as less could do :)

do let us know how it turns out though. i actually have a turtle tank that could use an upgrade on lighting like this one. does the one you're getting come with 3 switches and cords?
It comes with 2 switches and 1 cord. From what I seen at least.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I found a Lighting system that is for Compact Flourescents and can hold 3 of them. The only thing was that its for Terraniums. Is there any way I would be able to use this over my tank if I had a glass or something over the tank and then the lighting system? I will try to find a pic now.
It is fairly easy to build this type of fixture. Start with an old hood and a pair of sockets...

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Im not that handy and really dont want to mess with building anything. Especially electrical. But if there is a link for a very simple DIY Lighting then can you please send a link.
I have used a "On/Off Bottom Turn Knob Socket" to replace a socket on my hex. The wiring is AC just like a lamp. I have also retrofitted hoods to used screw in compact fluorescents. I will have to hunt for a link though...

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=75113-1071-9657U&lpage=none

1 - 12 of 12 Posts