The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently started using feeding dishes and it was amazing to see all the crumbs and flakes left behind that probably would have ended up falling between the substrate.

Glass feeding dishes are nice, transparent, but somewhat pricey.

I actually came across some relatively inexpensive ones on Amazon that had 1 review... By someone from ThePlantedTank who mentioned TPT in the review!

A relatively inexpensive alternative to glass petri dishes might be terra cotta saucers that I found at a local Walmart. 2" diameter ones are really cheap, like 10-20 cents maybe? I bought a bunch, but in reality they might be a little too small since the food and bits and pieces would probably not stay in the saucer.

The next larger size I could find was around 4" in diameter and seems to work quite well. They cost around $1-2-ish locally.

In the photo bellow is the 2" saucer. One is the natural terra cotta color, and one has been spray painted with black Krylon.

Krylon comes in many colors, so potentially they could be very customizable. I chose black to somewhat blend in with the dark color of eco-complete substrate.

I've read posts about terra cotta and Krylon paint both being aquarium safe.

Just thought I'd share this feeding dish alternative that should be relatively easy to find, and customized to personal taste.

[URL=http://s60.photobucket.com/user/eightoeight/media/112ac2d7-b720-4240-8f92-a039c0c5616e_zps5e525e9e.jpg.html][/URL]

·
Registered
422 Posts
I get a clear plastic hamster feeder dish with very high rims and extended bottom rim ... but how the hell can you make the food to stay when you put in the dish in the water? :p ...also when you take it out crumbs are floating away ...

·
Registered
429 Posts
go to the dollar store, they carry the clay flat dish that sits under the tinyist of clay pots. I use these all the time. Clay does not leech anything bad (painted ones I would hesitate to buy) and not nearly as
expensive as the glass ones....why does anyone need to see thru it anyway??? You can view what is left in the dish very easily if you put it at the front of the tank...this also allows you to monitor your shrimps...count them, check on berried ones, see new babies coming out to eat.

Once the shrimps know where to go to find the food, they love to crawl all over the dish. You can suck up any leftover food easily with a turkey baster. I my case nothing is left over anyway....after a few days even the barley straw pellet residue is all eaten as they just come and go and pick away at it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have mini cories in each tank...my clean up crew!

·
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...
2,606 Posts
I think glass feeding dishes are use more often by shrimp breeders because, well it's glass, you really can't go wrong with glass having anything "weird" in it. If I were to rate the difference I would say Clay/Terra Cotta is 85-90% shrimp safe while glass is practically 99.99% ;)

When it comes to shrimps I don't want to take shortcuts because in the end my shrimps are worth the most. If I were to buy a cheap feeding dish and save at most $3-$4 and have even 1 dead shrimp as a result, its no longer worth it.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I think glass feeding dishes are use more often by shrimp breeders because, well it's glass, you really can't go wrong with glass having anything "weird" in it. If I were to rate the difference I would say Clay/Terra Cotta is 85-90% shrimp safe while glass is practically 99.99% ;)

When it comes to shrimps I don't want to take shortcuts because in the end my shrimps are worth the most. If I were to buy a cheap feeding dish and save at most $3-$4 and have even 1 dead shrimp as a result, its no longer worth it.
glass actually could have toxic coating too. Most of the time we buy glass cause it doesnt look as uhhh orange or bulky as those things.

Though if it's pyrex it usually is laboratory grade so it should be clean. Other cheap glass options......I would be just as wary as with ceramic

·
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...
2,606 Posts
I remembered awhile back while searching for feeding dishes I read that shrimp keepers opted for glass mainly because it looks decent and it's "chemically" clean. There had been reports that other alternatives used end up having unexplainable deaths or sudden change in parameters. It's like FSS for example, its suppose to be a "shrimp substrate", and even then, I had to break down 4 tanks to realize its not meant for CRS/CBS/Tigers.

Perhaps it has to do with the material being porous enough to soak in anything bad, or leach anything bad for that matter? Glass in general, especially high clarity ones such as Pyrex should probably be near to top of the chain for being clean. I totally get what you mean by some having the potential toxic coating, but those are perhaps glass that is painted or coated. If its perfectly clear and high quality like, nothing printed on it, etc, I don't see how it could potentially be any bad if just properly rinsed ;)

Would definitely recommend trying out any feeding dish regardless of choice to see if it raises anything in the water. Put cheap feeding dishes with some less costly shrimps first like cherries for example. Putting a random bought $1 feeding dish in say a SS-SSS CRS/CBS tank would be a BAD idea!

·
Registered
727 Posts
i think with the glazed ones they could be fine, its just questionable with terra cotta since its clay and earthen materials so it could have trace elements in it. BUT what would be really cool with these is if you had the ones that weren't glazed and had it covered with moss! it would require some vigorous trimming but would also ad to your scape as well

1 - 11 of 11 Posts