The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am cycling my 29 gallon and ordered my Red Cherry Shrimp too early. I was hoping the cycling would be at a point they could be added by the time they arrived but its taking longer than I thought. So they are arriving today and I was thinking of throwing together a quick temporary tank for them. I have a large glass jar that would probably hold 1-2 gallons of water and I was hoping I could put them in there for a while. I have distilled water so I was planning on doing a 50/50 tap and distilled and put them in there with a moss ball until my tank is safe. I realize I was a bit irresponsible getting these guys so early but I would like to just keep them alive for a week or two until I can transfer them. Any advice here would be helpful. There isn't any kind of heater or filter on the jar obviously so they would have to live at room temp for a while. Is there any way of pulling this off?

·
Registered
295 Posts
it'll work ;) I accidently left some of my culled shrimp in a tiny plastic drinking cup in the basement(wich is 53°f). And by the time time i noticed they where in there, they where still alive 7 days later. witouth heater, food, substrate or filtration ;).. except that they lost some color, nothing was wrong with them and they recovered fine in my culling tank(its just a spare tank where i throw in all my culls to see if i get any interesting offspring with mixxing all the different colors :p)

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Yeah, you could do that. Less water volume means it is more prone to temperature changes, so you just want to minimize that a bit so things temps don't swing too drastically or get too high, especially on newly introduced/stressed livestock. Definitely add a airstone to the jar (keep lid off or leave a gap for atmospheric exchange) if it's going to be that long. While they are in this temporary jar, feed sparingly so you don't pollute the filter-less jar too much. Do some water changes (dechlorinated) daily or every other day (some recommend only doing 10-20% water changes) to remove/dilute some ammonia in the water. Distilled water isn't necessary unless your tap water is extremely hard (would require testing your water). The marimo ball won't do much at all for water quality, but provide a bit of microorganisms the shrimp will feast on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.