The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey PT,

I have some moss that I am saving right now for a larger build I am doing. right now - it is just floating around in the tank, and covering a few of the other plants. What do you guys use/recommend to temporarily "store" the moss while I am waiting? I dont really have any room in this tank on the substrate per say, was hoping to utilize some of the sides of the tank depending on the solution, something that lets me "hang" the moss for the time being.

Thanks!

JZ

·
Registered
121 Posts
What kind of Moss is it and how long are you going to “store” it? I’ve kept Moss in ambient light in a container with tank water for a month or so without issue.

Best regards,

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stuart - keeping Christmas moss. Probably only a month longer. I have it in a grow out tank now which has high light and CO2 &ferts. I would prefer if possible to keep them in their so the moss can continue to grow, but if that’s my only option will do that as well

·
Registered
121 Posts
It should be fine. I’ve stored it submerged for a month or so (adjacent to a small high tech tank). If you have space, floating it in a main tank can also work. It will get darker and coarser in lower light.

Best regards,

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have kept moss in tubs for months and had it not only survive but thrive. It doesn't even have to be submerged and sometimes it will even flower. Put it in a container( I use recycled to-go boxes) with a lid that lets light through and either drill a hole or two or crack the lid to provide some gas exchange, plop it under a light and forget about it until you need it. Just keep in mind anything deeper than an inch from the surface will likely slowly die so spread it out. The mat should be no more than an inch thick, preferably thinner.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts